Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phat Cat tone switch

Hi all,

I have a Squier Bullet Mustang (my second) that I'm going to drop a pair of Phat Cats in. The Mustang has 1 volume and 1 tone. The Phat Cat wiring diagram is for 2 volume, 1 tone. I can easily wire it for just the 1 and 1, but I'm contemplating making both knobs volumes, and then adding a DP3T switch for tone "presets," since I'm not a huge user of the tone knob. Space is somewhat limited, which is why I would use the switch instead of adding another pot for tone.

Two questions:

1. Does the attached diagram work? Will a mini switch work just fine?

2. A similar project in a Gretsch forum suggested values of .001 uf for a slight treble rolloff, and .015 uf for a larger cut. No idea how that would translate to the Phat Cats, so I plan on trying that first but having a few more values on hand to try out. Just curious if anyone would have any other suggestions of cap values.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200305_083814.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	5853594

Re: Phat Cat tone switch

Well, after some more looking around, I think I'm just going to go the route of this link:

with both a treble cut and bass cut switch, and follow its wiring diagrams and cap values.

If it works well with the Phat Cats, I'll report back here with the results which maybe will help someone in the future.

Comment

Re: Phat Cat tone switch

Both of those ideas work, but I'd be afraid that having the cap go straight to ground would be too much treble cut. If it were me, I'd leave your present tone control in. Lower it down a bit 'til you find your 1st sweet spot, then measure the pot resistance at that point, and write it down. Then lower it some more to your 2nd sweet spot and measure the pot again. A tone pot is one of the few things you can measure while it's still "in circuit" and get an accurate reading. Then get two resistors that are close to those two values and redo your drawing like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tone_switch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	5818407

Comment

Working...
      X