Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB with SSL-2s in HSS Strat?

Howdy folks.

I have a HSS Strat that currently has SSL-2 in the neck SSL-1 in mid (couldn't find a SSL-2 that was RWRP) and a Pearly Gates in the bridge. I love the way the neck and middle sound but an very meh on the bridge. When I flip to the bridge I seem to lose volume compared to the neck. It does hit the amp harder as in it breaks up much faster than the neck..but it just lacks balls for lack of a better term.

Would the JB work better? Maybe the demon or custom? How does the JB sound split?

Thanks!

Re: JB with SSL-2s in HSS Strat?

Are you using 250k tone and vol pots? 250s will smooth out most humbuckers, and can make 'em sound bland. If this is the case, it's possible to wire a resistor into your pickup selection circuit that will let the bridge pickup see a higher value.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I love the JB and think it mixes well tone wise with single coils. It will be hotter than the single coils though and you'll have to drop it to get it to balance. Like Guitarstv says, there are things you can do to improve the balance of the PG if you're mostly happy with the pickup except for the volume drop such as put a double thick magnet in it.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

First look at your volume pots. A 500k makes a world's difference with a humbucker - more highs, more volume, more beef. If you convert the volume pot there is a special wiring that let your single coil pickups still see a 250k pot like steve said. I use it, too. Highly recommended!
        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I would recommend checking the pickup height and pole pieces first before swapping the pickup. Then the pots as was already mentioned above. That being said I have a 59/custom hybrid in my hss strat and like it a bunch. Set it up so it's a slight boost over my ssl2's in neck and bridge. I haven't checked recently but found the pair of ssl2's on Amazon last year with the rwrp.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            Are you using 250k tone and vol pots? 250s will smooth out most humbuckers, and can make 'em sound bland. If this is the case, it's possible to wire a resistor into your pickup selection circuit that will let the bridge pickup see a higher value.
            I'm using an Obsidian wire kit with a resistor. It says the HB gets a 500k pot and the SCs 250k. Unless I goofed up on the install

Comment

Originally posted by rockinroyle View Post
              I would recommend checking the pickup height and pole pieces first before swapping the pickup. Then the pots as was already mentioned above. That being said I have a 59/custom hybrid in my hss strat and like it a bunch. Set it up so it's a slight boost over my ssl2's in neck and bridge. I haven't checked recently but found the pair of ssl2's on Amazon last year with the rwrp.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks! I'll try messing with the heights. I will look into trying to find a SSL2 RWRP. The SSL 1 sounds fine but the staggered magnets kind of bug me.

Comment

Stick a double thick mag in it. It will balance immediately.

The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

If wired properly and at the right height, there is no way you would lose volume when you switch to the bridge. I'd rule out anything funky going on, because switching to a JB, if wired correctly, will be much much louder than the singles.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My setup is very similar . It's JB with 2 Antiquity II's, which are very much in the same range as SSL2. I love it. I've got a pretty good volume match going on, but I like the tone of the JB when it's nice and low. The JB sounds very nice split , little trebley but I like that. and I can decently emulate an SSS tone when I have the splitter engaged. It's better for me than my previous setup (pearly gates) because the extra output makes for a pretty strong signal in signal coil mode, the way i like my single coil bridges anyway.

in between position sounds great both split and non-split. It's a very versatile and excellent sounding setup! Can definitely recommend the setup. I use a 500k for the volume pot, but 250k for both tones
                    Last edited by BeKindRewind; 03-08-2020, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X