Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tell me about the pegasus.

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
    43awg. that's an easy one. It's too much DCR for 42 and not nearly enough to warrant all the copper on the bobbins to be 44. Ergo, 43.

The insulation on each, that's much more interesting, but I already posted my hypotheses on that subject earlier in this topic
    Quite obviously 43, but your post was not specific. Did you mean you are assuming pegasus = pe and pb= formvar? Poly is bright btw due to thickness = lower capacitance.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      The Pegasus differs from the PB and Custom 5 in that it actually sounds good clean, and at all gain ranges. It remains tight, even with classic distortion sounds.
      Good to know as have a Burn in my Kiesel DC 135 and really like it. Now have to take a deeper look at the Pegasus seeing how much of a fan I am of the Sentient in the neck!
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by RayBarbeeMusic View Post
        Quite obviously 43, but your post was not specific. Did you mean you are assuming pegasus = pe and pb= formvar? Poly is bright btw due to thickness = lower capacitance.
        in terms of increasing brightness:

plain enamel < formvar < heavy formvar < poly. (but even poly can be superthin, or so I've heard).

about the part in bold: nah, not really. I guess? It was just a hypothesis pulled out of thin air, but I do believe the Perpetual Burn is brighter than the Pegasus but also feels more fluid than the Pegasus so I try to understand where that comes from. it's not the wire gauge, magnet, polepieces or baseplate or bobbin material, that's all the same. So it's a combination of wind and insulation.

Comment

Isame polepieces
          Wrong, the Pegasus has longer-than-normal pole pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
            Wrong, the Pegasus has longer-than-normal pole pieces.
            Sorry buddy, but no. They're the standard 21.3mm polepieces. See pics below. Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20200319_100517.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	5818493Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20200319_100545.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	5818494

I tried to make the picture so you can see the measurement as well as the type sticker.

Comment

This thread made me miss my 59B - slug and Screaming Demon screw hybrid. It was hell of a "tele sounding" pickup. I should have kept it!

B
              FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

I don't know whom you are referring to, but I said something along the lines of 'a pegasus is LIKE an underwound custom 5'. Meaning: same magnetic structure, same wire gauge. but I have no idea about the wind pattern or wire insulation. If a Custom5 has 43 formvar and the pegasus has 43 plain enamel, even if they were to have the same amount of winds and DCR, the tone would be immensely different.

There are in my view, a few custom-series derivatives:

Pegasus - Alnico V - 12.5K
                Nazgul - Ceramic - 13.6K
                Screaming Demon - Alnico V - 10.1K
                SH6N - Double thick ceramic - 13K
                Perpetual Burn - Alnico V - 12.1K

they all have 43 awg wire, all the same baseplate (and with the exception of the SD) same polepieces. But the exact wire/wind specs, I do not know. All of these sound quite different from one another but I wouldn't be surprised if, for example, the Perpetual Burn is like the Pegasus, but has a totally different insulation (say, heavy formvar on the Perpetual Burn and Plain enamel on the Pegasus).
                I am sure you heard the wire factories also sell 42.5 awg wire? I don't say SD use that.
                I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                  I am sure you heard the wire factories also sell 42.5 awg wire? I don't say SD use that.
                  Yes, I've seen that but I do remember during my factory tour that they didn't use that one because it was a bit too difficult to get for the regular floor shop pickups.

But then again.. what do I know.

Comment

in terms of increasing brightness:

plain enamel < formvar < heavy formvar < poly. (but even poly can be superthin, or so I've heard).

about the part in bold: nah, not really. I guess? It was just a hypothesis pulled out of thin air, but I do believe the Perpetual Burn is brighter than the Pegasus but also feels more fluid than the Pegasus so I try to understand where that comes from. it's not the wire gauge, magnet, polepieces or baseplate or bobbin material, that's all the same. So it's a combination of wind and insulation.
                    You should not mix two things up. The material of the insulation and the thickness. The consensus of winders is that the thickness is more important than the material.

SPN (single poly) and something that Remington calls Enameled Copper (an PU insulation) and FV nearly the same, than PE, and than the Heavy Formvar and Heavy PU having the thickest insulation.
                    Last edited by hamerfan; 03-19-2020, 11:24 AM.
                    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Are there any pickups with AWG42.5 wire? Just curious.

B
                      FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                        You should not mix two things up. The material of the insulation and the thickness. The consensus of winders is that the thickness is more important than the material.

SPN (single poly) and something that Remington calls Enameled Copper (an PU insulation) and FV nearly the same, than PE, and than the Heavy Formvar and Heavy PU having the thickest insulation.
                        I am not confusing them. I realize I was using a short-hand; what you wrote what I have highlighted in bold, is what I meant. Should've explained myself better, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                        X