The Pots Question again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pots Question again

Just one more day and I hope the pups arrive I am so excited I feel like a kid. I have a JB for the bridge and a Jazz for the neck and a Hot Stack for the middle. I just want to get them and wire them up how ever, I am concerned with the pots. The gutiar is Ibanez RG 270 DXand is pretty heavy but its my baby. The fingerboard is redwood and the neck is maple I know its not top of the line but I love it any way. I am just wondering there has been a lot about changing the pots for the pups. Since it is a heavy gutiar and I am looking for more bottem end should I change to 250K or just stick with the 500K? I have to check the schematics to make sure thats whats installed. I play a lot of styles from blues to death metal <-(not that much) so what do you folks think. I know its a matter of persoanl taste but I would like your comments.

PS you folks are the best the info is super and the knowledge base cant be beat you shold all give yourselfs some serious credit for being top notch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Live long, play hard, enjoy life.

Re: The Pots Question again

I have a JB/Hot Stack/lil59 loaded Strat and I'm running 500k pots with great results. I'd stick with the 500k pots to start and see what you get.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

A strat with 500k pots? Interesting. I have been shouting my advocacy of a 250k pot, but it's all a personal opinion. If you like a brighter tone, stay with the 500k but if you want a mellower tone you may want to go to the 250.

However, Robert S's opinion may be wisest- try it out first with your 500k pot, and if you find it to be too bright you can always switch out later.
      Carvin SC90 (Jazz neck, CC bridge)
      Fender Aerodyne Telecaster (stock pups: tele bridge and p-90 neck)
      Ampeg Reverberocket combo

http://emayhem.com/toptenidols
      http://emayhem.com/the_fords
      (note: these songs were not recorded using the gear mentioned above...)

Comment

Hey guys thanks for taking the time to respond I reall appreciate it very much.

Robert S. I think I will stick with the 500k's now to see if I like the tone.

Mjsever Thanks for the comments I have been following the pot posts and its nice to know that I have options for taming the beast (LOL) thanks much.

Comment

I Just Changed The Pots For My Jb And ................wow.....

I Went From 500k To 250k And It Warmed Up The Tone...... Now I Really Do Have Tone.

All I Did Was Changed The 1 Volume For The Bridge (jb). I Left Everything Else. The '59 Sounds Crisp And The Jb Sounds Scorching Without The Shrills. It Is Still On Harmonic Overload Too :-d

Amazingly The Combination Sounds Sweet Too (a 500k With The 250k) The Only Thing Is That It Is Just A Little Lower In Volume (about Like Going From 10 To 8 On The Volume Knob).

You Guys Are Awesome.... Thanks For All Your Help And Input

Thanks,
          Kevin
          Last edited by sifukev; 04-15-2004, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info sifukev I apprecate it very much.

Comment

Working...
            X