DiMarzio FRED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMarzio FRED

Hello everyone. I got a Ibanez RG coming soon that has a FRED installed in the bridge. I have never tried that pickup before and I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were about it. Good pickup, or something to replace? How do you like it and what guitar is it in? Thanks!

Re: DiMarzio FRED

Have you heard anyone hear play in person, or know their style......so you can filter the results from those who are more likely to have similar tonal goals to yours??

I've had so many 'pickup surprises' over the years that I have given up the foolishness of 'internet judging' anything, and always wait until the guitar and pickup is played to judge.

Comment

I have a feeling I will be surprised by it. If not, I have 10 different pups laying around

Comment

I've used one several times in different guitars.

The well-known Satriani association considered, it's a great all-around rock pickup. Really articulate and clear without being to bitey and with enough bass and midrange to have you sit well in a mix. Overdrive characteristics from amp to amp really get highlighted, especially in the midange. Plays really well with all kinds of overdrive and distortion, and really harmonic-sensitive. I like it a lot.

Comment

i had a rg550 with a fred in the bridge and i loved it

Comment

I still have one in an Ibanez RG with a Paf Joe in the neck. It is one of may favorite bridge pickups for those guitars. It isn't as fat as some bridge pickups, but it has good growl, and I like the EQ.

Comment

How come the fred always sounds like a full shred on paper, and when people describe it?

How similar or not are they?

Comment

I heard a lot of comparisons to the Screamin Demon. I mean I guess I can hear it.

Comment

I've never had a Fred in the bridge, but I've had 2 guitars with the Fred in the neck. If you're willing to experiment, move it to the neck and pair it with one of those 10 other pickups in the bridge. (I've had it paired with a PAF pro in the bridge, and with a D Activator bridge. Height adjustment is crucial, of course, but it worked well with each).

Comment

The Fred is not really too much like either of those. It really is its own thing. I also have a Fred in the Neck of a PRS SE 245 with a Norton in the bridge, and it rocks there too.

Comment

I have had mixed results with the FRED. I had it in an MIM Alder body strat with tone bypass and it was a MONSTER! Huge harmonics, great clarity and super solid medium output. I have had the same F-spaced pickup in a Basswood MIJ strat and an MIJ Prestige Ibanez and it sounded like dog****. I think it is a very wood dependent pickup.
                      Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
                      Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

I'm just gonna drop this rant right here and leave it alone.

PAF Pro, Fred, Mo Joe, etc....

Is it just me or

1. Does DMZ have wayyy too many Satch pickups
                        2. Watch sounds the same on every album I've heard him...
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtomecha View Post
                          I heard a lot of comparisons to the Screamin Demon. I mean I guess I can hear it.
                          Fred has more mids, but that was always my first thought when it comes to comparisons. I had one in my old BC Rich Mockingbird. It sounded fantastic, kinda miss that guitar some days.

Comment

I found the FRED to be almost too harmonically sensitive. Seemed like I was accidentally snagging pinch harmonics too often. A bit too "Jake E. Lee" for my taste.

Comment

Working...
                            X