Series or Parallel switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series or Parallel switch?

I am wondering what the difference is between having a 5 way switch that can run your pick-ups in series and parallel and having a push pull that can do the same? Can anyone educate me on that? Thanks

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Re: Series or Parallel switch?

Depending on the pickups involved....

Using the 5-way for that means you lose some combinations.

Using a push/pull means you get more combinations PLUS series / parallel

Say the 5 way is 5 sounds

HB series
    HB inner + Middle para
    Middle Single
    Middle Single + bridge HB para
    Bridge HB

or

HB series
    HB inner + Middle series
    Middle Single
    HB para
    Bridge HB series

add a push / pull for series-Para and you get:

HB - ser or para
    HB inner + Middle Series ser or para
    Middle Single
    Middle Single + bridge HB Inner ser or para
    Bridge HB - ser or para

9 sounds....No need to choose. Have it all.
    Last edited by Aceman; 03-20-2020, 11:06 AM.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Adding a push-pull to a regular 5 way might be useful, but you might get stuck with 2 moves to get to a sound you like. I might do that first for a few months, then decide what I actually use, and see if that could be hardwired into a switch.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Adding a push-pull to a regular 5 way might be useful, but you might get stuck with 2 moves to get to a sound you like. I might do that first for a few months, then decide what I actually use, and see if that could be hardwired into a switch.
        The mental thought experiment of all the wiring permutations can be exciting... then you wire it all up and some sound similar, some you’d never use, etc. I like Mincer’s idea, find all the sounds you like, then develop a superswitch diagram to get your favorites.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thanks everyone for letting me know the options. I'll try Acemans push pull first then settle like Mincer said.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
            The mental thought experiment of all the wiring permutations can be exciting... then you wire it all up and some sound similar, some you’d never use, etc. I like Mincer’s idea, find all the sounds you like, then develop a superswitch diagram to get your favorites.
            I just built an HSH style guitar with a 5 way autosplit switch and two push pulls for series/parallel. When I do it again, I'll skip the push pulls. I suppose it's nice to have, but it didn't add significant color to my tone. In fact, the autosplit positions sound better, and I could have saved a lot of time and hassle just wiring the switch.

Quick comment on the Superswitch. If you're installing in a pickguard than Fender's switch is fine. However, if you're putting it in a Tele, or tight control cavity get the Oak Grigsby switch. Its the exact same but about a 3rd skinnier and easier to install.

Comment

Working...
            X