Please help w/ wiring HHH Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help w/ wiring HHH Strat

I'm building a HHH Statocaster and have 2 SD Saturday Night Specials that will be used in the neck and bridge positions and a SD Red Devil in the middle. There is a 5 way switch, 1 volume and 2 tones w .046 caps all the potentiometers are 500k.

For this project I could install CTS Push-pull Pots, DPDT also 500k if needed.

I have been looking for wiring diagrams that would incorporate parallel for the humbuckers without much luck. Any help and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Please help w/ wiring HHH Strat

There’s a guitar wiring group on FB that’s pretty decent.

You could also look here if they might have the diagram you need. I think they’ll even do a custom for you for a small fee.

Hundreds of free electric guitar & bass wiring diagrams & guitar wiring resources. Humbucker wire color codes, wirirng mods, factory wiring diagrams & more.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    '19 Charvel DK24 HH - Chlorine Burst / '19 Jackson SL3 - Chlorine Burst / '20 Charvel San Dimas HH - Gloss Black
    Marshall JCM800 20W head + SC212 cab / Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 1x10 Combo + Thiele 1x12
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by mi_canuck View Post
      There’s a guitar wiring group on FB that’s pretty decent.

You could also look here if they might have the diagram you need. I think they’ll even do a custom for you for a small fee.

https://guitarelectronics.com/guitar-wiring-resources/
      I appreciate your link, tried guitarelectronics.com before posting on here. I'm a disabled vet living off my disability check which isn't much, needless to say $49 is not much for most, but is a lot for me.

Thanks again for the reply.

I even tried emailing Seymour Duncan asking for help considering I'm using their PUPs. They just said the Red Devil is a little hotter than the Saturday Night Specials and offered no help in wiring.
      Last edited by Wfmacii; 04-11-2020, 10:31 AM.

Comment

How do you want to incorporate parallel humbuckers? Do you want each one to have its own push/pull so you can have them in series (down), and parallel (up)? Does the 5 way work like a regular Strat 5 way?
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Please help w/ wiring HHH Strat

Are you wanting to make the SNS pickups always with parallel coils all the time? For that, just treat the SNS like two single coils in a package. Black/White is +/- of one coil and Red/Green is +/- of the other coil. Wire the Black and Red to the switch lug where the bridge pickup goes and wire the White and Green to ground somewhere; same with the neck except wire Black and Red of the neck SNS to the switch lug for the neck. Note they won’t sound the same. They’ll be brighter and lower output. I would wire everything with temporary alligator clip wires and try it to make sure that’s really necessary and sounds like you expect and want.

Or are you trying to wire parallel coils on the SNS as a switchable option? That requires adding some push pulls.

Or are you really talking about having all the pickups in parallel (which is how they would be anyway if you followed a normal Strat diagram with the same SNS/Red Devil/SNS pickups.)

It might not be necessary to do any parallel coil stuff and just wire it normal and just lower the Red Devil a little bit to balance the level.
          Last edited by beaubrummels; 04-11-2020, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            How do you want to incorporate parallel humbuckers? Do you want each one to have its own push/pull so you can have them in series (down), and parallel (up)? Does the 5 way work like a regular Strat 5 way?
            Mincer, if possible I would like to have each one on a DPDT and have them in series (down) and parallel (up). The switch is a standard Strat 5 way, but open to installing a Oak Grigsby Super Switch if you think it would improve functionality. The only question I have is does the Red Devil pickup require a 250 or 500k pot. If it does would I just install a 500k resistor on the middle pup pot? Thank you so much for your reply.

Comment

Beaubrummels, thank you for your reply. I wanted to use push/pull to go from series to parallel or use a Oak Grigsby Super Switch. Would a resistor be needed on the Red Devil? I did not receive the Red Devil yet so I'm not sure of the pot value. Thank you again.

Comment

Originally posted by Wfmacii View Post
                Beaubrummels, thank you for your reply. I wanted to use push/pull to go from series to parallel or use a Oak Grigsby Super Switch. Would a resistor be needed on the Red Devil? I did not receive the Red Devil yet so I'm not sure of the pot value. Thank you again.
                I thought all those pickups were Humbuckers, so they should all have 500k? Unless the Red Devil technical information says they should be installed like normal Strat pickups?

Comment

The Red Devil doesn't really 'require' either. I'd keep the 500k pots, and you can vary it if you think there is an issue. As far as the wiring, take the switching from this diagram. You would just go to a normal 5 way switch, though. But the series/parallel would be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    The Red Devil doesn't really 'require' either. I'd keep the 500k pots, and you can vary it if you think there is an issue. As far as the wiring, take the switching from this diagram. You would just go to a normal 5 way switch, though. But the series/parallel would be the same.
                    That diagram has two errors on the Bridge pickup's push-pull wiring. 1. It is sending Green wire to the input of the Volume pot -it should be sending Black wire. 2. Nothing is grounded -the Green wire should be sent to Ground. Luckily the fix is easy - which is, just wire the Bridge push-pull exactly like how the Neck push-pull is wired.

So this is another drawing that needs to be flagged for later review and correction.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200412_095523.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	5818711
                    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Good catch! Thank you! I may start a sticky thread with links to all of the diagrams that might have issues.

Comment

Working...
                      X