banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do modern pups do with classic rock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do modern pups do with classic rock?

Nazgul, sentient, etc...

All the online demos are metal tracks, I wonder if these pups are any good for classic, medium gain rock sounds?

Re: How do modern pups do with classic rock?

Generally, I think the low end is too tight for a lot of classic rock sounds. The Pegasus probably does classic rock better than most modern metal pickups, but generally, they compress the preamp a little too much.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

i think the sentient would surprise a lot of people, its a very versatile neck pup

Comment

Originally posted by WDeeGee View Post
        Nazgul, sentient, etc...

All the online demos are metal tracks, I wonder if these pups are any good for classic, medium gain rock sounds?
        The Senient is one of my all time favorite neck pickups for anything. Running 2 right now one with a Alt8 in my KOA Hardtail Carvin DC 127 and one with a Hybrid in my DC 400. Can cover abut anything you throw at me with both guitars from metal to Country and anything in between.
        My # 2 neck pickup is the SNS and it's really the best for true classic rock tones as a full humbucker I have ever used. Just not crazy about the split tones as they are weak IMO but the full humbucker tones are really just spectacular for arena and classic rock!!
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          i think the sentient would surprise a lot of people, its a very versatile neck pup
          Did me for sure and is now my all time favorite neck humbucker overall!!
          here is my Carvin DC 400 running a Sentient and a Hybrid mostly split together through my old Carvin X50B.
          Last edited by Ascension; 04-11-2020, 02:41 PM.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

How'd you drescribe it compared to, say, a 59 or a Jazz?

Comment

Here is my Carvin ST 300 with a Hybrid bridge and Saturday Night Special neck through my Boogie DC -5.
              Guitars

Comment

While I think they can be made to work, the bridge position cleans/cleanish tones leave a lot to be desired. To me the low end in those situations comes off as clunky and not very musical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How does a Sentient compare with a 59N?

Curious...

B
                  FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

A Sentient is brighter than a 59, not as much as the Jazz.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah, the Sentient is the middle space on the board of brightness. Brighter than the '59, not as bright as the Jazz. Very articulate and can keep up with any bridge pup. It's a great pickup IMO.

As for the bridge, the Nazgul wouldn't be a great fit for classic rock, but the Black Winter bridge pickup would surprise you.

Comment

Cool!

Thanks.

B
                        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by WDeeGee View Post
                          How'd you drescribe it compared to, say, a 59 or a Jazz?
                          More defined, balanced articulate and clear than the 59, fatter smoother and bigger sounding than the Jazz. Prefer the Sentient to both by far.
                          Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Nsatke81 View Post
                            While I think they can be made to work, the bridge position cleans/cleanish tones leave a lot to be desired. To me the low end in those situations comes off as clunky and not very musical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Depends on the pickup. The Saturday Night Specials are the bomb IMO for classic rock tones. The Hybrid is also fantastic in particular when paired with a Sentient in the neck.
                            Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
                              How does a Sentient compare with a 59N?

Curious...
                              B
                              More balanced tone overall at about the same output very smooth and sweet clean. Holds up much better under gain very articulate singing tone.
                              Probably the best Sentient neck tones demo I have found and was what sold me on this pickup at first.
                              The Sentient is voiced to capture a blend of vintage PAF and modern tones with enough output to deliver harmonically rich distorted lead tones, but subtle en...

The Sentient also splits much better than both the Jazz and the 59.
                              Guitars

Comment

Working...
                              X