Gibson Studio pickups for metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Studio pickups for metal

There is a sale on some Studio Gibsons here and I was wondering what pickups can I change to make the guitar more suited for metal?
    The guitars are: Gibson Les Paul studio 2018 Vintage Sunburst (57 Classic), Gibson Les Paul Studio Tribute 2019 (498T/490R) and Gibson Les Paul Faded 2018 Worn Bourbon (490R/490T).
    I dont live in America so there is no market for used guitars here and I already have a JB/JAZZ guitar so anything else plz.
    I like playing Metallica, Megadeth, Amorphis, Paradise Lost etc.
    My Amp is VOX VT40+

Re: Gibson Studio pickups for metal

I'd look into Invader bridge and Distortion neck.

B
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

The 498T is already pretty great for metal, but in the event you don't like it, there are many solid choices from Seymour Duncan, the Custom would be my starting point in a Les Paul

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

I might go with a Pegasus/Sentient set and get back to rockin'. While it is a more modern metal sound, you should have no problem getting the sounds of the older bands, too.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Distortion Bridge.

Who cares what is in the neck?
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

As noted above, the 498t will do metal just fine. It strikes me as Gibson’s take on a JB. I swapped mine for a JB and it’s just like a hotter and slightly clearer version of the stock pickup.

JB/59 would therefore be my first suggestion since it’s what I actually have in mine. But since you don’t want the JB, I’d suggest going a touch hotter and getting a set of Distortions. If you want more modern, there are lots of choices from the Black Winter or Omega to the Nazgul or Pegasus + Sentient. I haven’t tried those so I can’t comment other than to say I’ve never heard a bad Duncan.

Comment

498t is roughly a custom 5 in terms of wire gauge and output.

My custom in my LP is great for Metallica. For Megadeth...nothing beats a JB or Gravity Storm in a 25.5" scale length guitar. Doable in a LP but Mustaine's tone is edgier thanks to the full scale length.

Anyways the Custom gets my vote. The Distortion also is brutal (or Black Winter) but was too hot for my Kemper.

Comment

Originally posted by Nagisa View Post
                498t is roughly a custom 5 in terms of wire gauge and output.

My custom in my LP is great for Metallica. For Megadeth...nothing beats a JB or Gravity Storm in a 25.5" scale length guitar. Doable in a LP but Mustaine's tone is edgier thanks to the full scale length.

Anyways the Custom gets my vote. The Distortion also is brutal (or Black Winter) but was too hot for my Kemper.
                The reason I compare it to a JB is unlike the Custom 5, the 498t is all mids. When I swapped them, it did not change the fundamental character of the tone. It was just a little hotter and more clarity.

Comment

Sticking with Gibson, you could check out the 496R/500T set, or Dirty Fingers. They are both hot ceramic magnet pickups.

--------------------------------------------------------------
                  '19 Charvel DK24 HH - Chlorine Burst / '19 Jackson SL3 - Chlorine Burst / '20 Charvel San Dimas HH - Gloss Black
                  Marshall JCM800 20W head + SC212 cab / Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 1x10 Combo + Thiele 1x12
                  --------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

What about EMG pickups? Alot of metal players use them. Are they good with prs?

Comment

Originally posted by abl View Post
                      What about EMG pickups? Alot of metal players use them. Are they good with prs?
                      Well they would probably sound the same on a PRS as any other guitar minus the difference in scale length. EMGs leave little to the tone of the guitar itself.

Comment

Working...
                      X