Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker - Hum canceling

Hi!
    What makes that humbucker has little hum? Similar resistance coils or identical number of turns (winds)?
    If I would like maximum hum canceling, i want to identical resistance coils or number of turns?
    I know that pickup magnets and temperature change pickup resistance.
    So, polepieces type (slug or screw with bar) affect resistance?
    If humbucker has maximum hum canceling with identical resistance, should I check coils resistance before or after install baseplate with magnet?

Re: Humbucker - Hum canceling

Originally posted by CarlosG View Post
    Hi!
    What makes that humbucker has little hum? Similar resistance coils or identical number of turns (winds)?
    If I would like maximum hum canceling, i want to identical resistance coils or number of turns?
    I know that pickup magnets and temperature change pickup resistance.
    So, polepieces type (slug or screw with bar) affect resistance?
    If humbucker has maximum hum canceling with identical resistance, should I check coils resistance before or after install baseplate with magnet?
    This is probably not super-helpful, butI would imagine that identical inductance in each coil would maximize hum-cancelling. Outside of ensuring each coil has identical geometry: same number of turns that are the same size and shape with the same wire, I'm not sure how you'd guarantee that without measuring with something like an LCR meter.

Comment

Number of turns, but it is a bit uneven still because the wire diameter is different for different pickups.

The magnets or passive poles have nothing to do with hum or cancelation thereof.

Comment

If both coils could occupy the same space, the noise would be even less. Active pickups are really quiet, too.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
        X