Question Regarding EVH Frankenstrat vs the SD Custom Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question Regarding EVH Frankenstrat vs the SD Custom Custom

Several months ago, I put up a post regarding a replacement pickup for my 2019 Stratocaster MIM HSS.

Long story short, many pickups were suggested, but the Custom Custom came up top.

Why?

I like the warmth and looseness of an Alnico 2 magnet; my Strat is too bright, and the CC would tame that. I also like that the CC's notes are rounded, although they aren't too rounded.

What's my concern about the CC? The bottom end. I like Van Halen (VH1-1984); Journey, AC/DC, etc...maybe I would go as hard as Def Leopard. I do not care for an ultra heavy bottom end, e.g. Jake E Lee, etc

I did several searches, and ran through pages of threads, on the Custom Custom vs the EVH Frankenstein, but most posters relayed their experience of the pickup's middle to high end sounds; many have said that the EVH is a bit polished, while the CC is a bit raw - which is what I want. What I did not hear from anyone, was what the bottom ends are like.

The CC has a strong lower middle, while the EVH's bottom end is described as "thick." Do they have a similar bottom end? Overall, I like the CC's profile better than the EVH, but not to the extent that I am willing to sacrifice breadth on the low end. Are they similar in this regard? If the CC is a *little* lighter than the EVH down low, I will go with the CC, as it's more affordable, comes in white, and comes as a trembucker.

Thank you

Re: Question Regarding EVH Frankenstrat vs the SD Custom Custom

You lost me at "as hard as Def Leppard".

However, maybe instead of reading pages and pages of subjective opinions, you should perhaps pull the trigger and just purchase the pickup to try it out for yourself? There's more to a pickups sound than just the marketing drivel. And the advertisers have no idea what your guitar would sound like with the pickup in place.

If you buy it, try it, and don't like it, then lesson learnt - it's not the pickup for you. But at least you'll know.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post
      You lost me at "as hard as Def Leppard".

However, maybe instead of reading pages and pages of subjective opinions, you should perhaps pull the trigger and just purchase the pickup to try it out for yourself? There's more to a pickups sound than just the marketing drivel. And the advertisers have no idea what your guitar would sound like with the pickup in place.

If you buy it, try it, and don't like it, then lesson learnt - it's not the pickup for you. But at least you'll know.
      Appreciate the reply.

Perhaps the Def Leopard comment was misplaced; I suppose Def Leopard is mainstream rock/hard rock, as opposed to metal. In other words, I am looking for a pickup that will do hard rock, but a pickup like the JB sounds a little too heavy to me.

As for trying it out, I have never sotered anything before, and I am fairly new to the guitar (as an instrument). Therefore, what might be a simple pickup swap job to an experienced person, will be a bit of a PITA for me - therefore even with SD's 21 day challenge, I would like to avoid the hassle of having to swap pickups again (should I not like my purchase).

Should anyone think to ask: "since you're fairly new to the guitar, why don't you get some experience under your belt before swapping out parts" - I love my Strat, but I dislike the stock humbucker they put into the thing; it's a little muddy/buzzy at times, and it's too damned bright at times. The stock humbucker might be good for 70's rock and some southern rock, but late 70's-mid 80's hard rock, this thing just doesn't cut it. I have a Yamaha THR amp; it's a great amp, but with the stock humbucker, the guitar is simply not fun to play through the amp; most times I leave it unplugged. And now that I am starting to learn songs, I wanna have fun; I don't wanna have to keep the thing unplugged because the single coils are too stratty for hard rock, while the humbucker is not pleasing.
      Last edited by newdorplane; 04-20-2020, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Honestly, it will work fine for those tones as well. The low end isn't incredibly tight, but the stuff you want to play doesn't require the really tight low end of something like Metallica.

Comment

I never thought of the low end of Van Halen as 'tight'. The CC has true mids, to me. It remains my favorite pickup in a 1 guitar band using any kind of Super Strat. It sounds 'bigger' than the EVH, to me.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
            Honestly, it will work fine for those tones as well. The low end isn't incredibly tight, but the stuff you want to play doesn't require the really tight low end of something like Metallica.
            I don't like tight low ends, which is another plus with the CC.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            I never thought of the low end of Van Halen as 'tight'. The CC has true mids, to me. It remains my favorite pickup in a 1 guitar band using any kind of Super Strat. It sounds 'bigger' than the EVH, to me.
            Thanks...that the CC has true mids to me is a plus; I don't care for the scooped sound.

That it sounds 'bigger' than the EVH, what do you mean by bigger? Do you mean that it sounds thicker at low frequencies?

If it sounds similarly to the EVH at the low end, then I am set; the only other question I would have: there are three screws holding the Fender humbucker in; some say that the SD trembucker bolts right in; a person or two said that the holes don't line up. Do you have any experience with this?

Another thing that I have heard: the SD wiring chart for the Mexican HSS Strat are reversed. When I put the pickup in, how can I know that the wiring is as it should be?

Finally, has SD stopped shipping product because of the virus? Many places are out of stock on white TB-11's.

Thank you for your time

Comment

The CC will be perfect for what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                The CC will be perfect for what you want.

I appreciate you sharing your opinion.

If the EVH Frankenstein didn't exist, the CC would be my top choice - unquestionably. I like the warm pronounced mids, and I like the rounded highs, which aren't too rounded (for my tastes).

Thing is, I hear these video's of superstrats with the EVH Frankenstein, and the tones down low are absolutely killer: warm, pronounced, and thick. If the CC is near comparable, then the CC is what I am getting.

The thing that holds me back: when I look at SD's tone chart, the bass level on the CC is shown to be a 3.5/10. Plus there are a lot of SD fan videos which say something to the effect of "the CC has balls" - which leads me to believe that SD fans are trying to beat back a perception that the CC is lacking down low. That's why I am comparing it to the EVH.

Comment

Those charts are good "relative" guides, but I would say that it doesn't have low end, just like I wouldn't say the Tone Zone doesn't have high end, but if you look at the DMZ chart you might believe that without having anything to compare it to you might thing that. The CC will chunk, it just doesn't have a huge bottom end which based on your first post, sounds like what you are trying to avoid. Early VH guitar tones don't have massive low end. I really like the CC, it sounds great and will get the tones you want, take my opinion for what it's worth. Honestly, the pickup specs are very similar, I haven't tried the Frankenpup, but I would guess that it sounds very similar to the CC. The idea of the CC was to capture those W&CF and FW era sounds.

FWIW, one of my favorite pickups, at least in a bright guitar, is a JB with an A2 magnet, warms it up considerably. Very similar to the DeMartini custom shop pickup (I would say it "is" but that would be get smacked down). It has been said that it's also Seymour's favorite.
                  Last edited by devastone; 04-20-2020, 06:12 PM.

Comment

The. CC is generally fantastic in a Strat with a Floyd. Don't worry at all.

Also - Spend less time worrying about the subtleties and mysteries of Ed's pickups. Once upon a time it was a big deal. Today, it is preset #37 on an old Digitech RP200 or whatever. You can get that sound with a Single coil Squire Tele.

The thick you refer to most likely came from the amp - not the pickup. The bass issue with the CC is perception more than reality. It is because there are so much mids generally, that it seems the bass and highs are less.

If you want more highs (but still smooth fat highs) raise the pole pieces
                    If you want tighter bass - and as a CC owner in a Floyded Superstrat, I don't - get three shorter pole screws

Finally, if it is Hysteria/Adrenalize era Leppard that you like - at most - learn to do a mag swap. Easy as can be, and you can have a Ceramic Custom, or an A5 Custom 5 (with tons of bass and treble, but few mids)

Still - I think you should have few problems getting the sound you seek with nothing more than patience and a screw driver. Bass side up, raise a couple treble poles a touch, and set the amp right.

By the way - what amp?
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The thing with low end is that it's really easy to have too much of it. You can always turn the bass up on the amp. But if the pickup hits the front end with too much of anything, especially bass, you really can't turn it down anywhere else.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                        Those charts are good "relative" guides, but I would say that it doesn't have low end, just like I wouldn't say the Tone Zone doesn't have high end, but if you look at the DMZ chart you might believe that without having anything to compare it to you might thing that. The CC will chunk, it just doesn't have a huge bottom end which based on your first post, sounds like what you are trying to avoid. Early VH guitar tones don't have massive low end. I really like the CC, it sounds great and will get the tones you want, take my opinion for what it's worth. Honestly, the pickup specs are very similar, I haven't tried the Frankenpup, but I would guess that it sounds very similar to the CC. The idea of the CC was to capture those W&CF and FW era sounds.

FWIW, one of my favorite pickups, at least in a bright guitar, is a JB with an A2 magnet, warms it up considerably. Very similar to the DeMartini custom shop pickup (I would say it "is" but that would be get smacked down). It has been said that it's also Seymour's favorite.
                        I appreciate all that you said, and I bet that a JB with an A2 magnet sounds sweet! I am surprised that SD never made a variant like that.

I also agree that VH tones don't have a massive low end from EVH, yet lately i've wondered to what degree Michael Anthony's sound doesn't contribute to EVH's lack. In other words, EVH lacked that "down low" sound, which gave place for Michael Anthony to undergird EVH's guitar with his bass (if that makes sense).

In any event, the guitar tone on Fair Warning is magnificently warm; that's what I am after, and it sounds like there's where the CC shines.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                          The. CC is generally fantastic in a Strat with a Floyd. Don't worry at all.

Also - Spend less time worrying about the subtleties and mysteries of Ed's pickups. Once upon a time it was a big deal. Today, it is preset #37 on an old Digitech RP200 or whatever. You can get that sound with a Single coil Squire Tele.

The thick you refer to most likely came from the amp - not the pickup. The bass issue with the CC is perception more than reality. It is because there are so much mids generally, that it seems the bass and highs are less.

If you want more highs (but still smooth fat highs) raise the pole pieces
                          If you want tighter bass - and as a CC owner in a Floyded Superstrat, I don't - get three shorter pole screws

Finally, if it is Hysteria/Adrenalize era Leppard that you like - at most - learn to do a mag swap. Easy as can be, and you can have a Ceramic Custom, or an A5 Custom 5 (with tons of bass and treble, but few mids)

Still - I think you should have few problems getting the sound you seek with nothing more than patience and a screw driver. Bass side up, raise a couple treble poles a touch, and set the amp right.

By the way - what amp?
                          Your post is very helpful...thanks. I am running a Yamaha THR10.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                            The thing with low end is that it's really easy to have too much of it. You can always turn the bass up on the amp. But if the pickup hits the front end with too much of anything, especially bass, you really can't turn it down anywhere else.

That's an excellent point that I hadn't considered....thanks.

Comment

I have learned that the hard way.

Comment

Working...
                              X