Help - Antiquity P90's are squeeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Antiquity P90's are squeeling

I have an Epiphone '56 Goldtop RI. The stock Epi pickups sounded good, but they squeeled to much, so I called Duncan, and they recommended the Antiquities. I bought them, installed them, and the squeeling was actually worse. The Duncan tech told me to replace the height adjustment springs that were under the pickups with foam (these are soapbars), which I did, and still the pickups squeel badly (although a little better).

What else can a poor boy do......

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Steve
    [email protected]

well i don't know the answer but i can bump you back to the top of the list so someone else can help.

welcome to the forum
    Cleveland Guitars

Comment

wax potting?
      early 90's Epiphone Sheraton II w/59 neck, JB bridge
      60's reissue Fender Strat.(Japan) w/Fender custom shop singles
      Kustom 65 watt solid-state 1x12 combo amp

Comment

You might also want to check the solder joints and wiring, just to make sure the connections are clean and bonding properly...shot in the dark, but couldn't hurt.
        early 90's Epiphone Sheraton II w/59 neck, JB bridge
        60's reissue Fender Strat.(Japan) w/Fender custom shop singles
        Kustom 65 watt solid-state 1x12 combo amp

Comment

they shouldn't need wax potting. i would think it would be in the wiring somewhere but i have never wired up p90's in an epiphone so i don't know what all could have gone wrong.
          Cleveland Guitars

Comment

The wiring is pretty simple - one conductor and a shield. I removed the existing P90's by unsoldering the hot conductor from the volume pot and unsoldering the shield from the pot-back, and then soldered the new pickups in place the same way.

What is the concept behidn the wiring causing microphonic feedback? Perhaps if I understand that better, I will recognize something I might not have done correctly.

Thanks,
            Steve

Comment

Working...
            X