Tele Bridge Country Which Pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tele Bridge Country Which Pickup?

I'm in the u.k. and s.d. pickups seem to be more available than some other makes....so which sd bridge pickup for country.....5/2,
    Jerry Donahue, vintage stack or other, i do have a 5/2 in one tele and it works out quite well...any thoughts appreciated..

Re: Tele Bridge Country Which Pickup?

vintage 54 if you want chicken pickin country

Comment

Another vintage-correct choice is the Antiquity.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

id go antiquity II over the ant I for country

Comment

I’m a broadcaster guy myself.

Comment

A lot of options. It would help if you could tell us what kind of Telecaster bridge pickup tone you're after. I have a Fender Vintage Noiseless, Fender Tex Mex, Duncan Jerry Donahue, and Alnico 2 Pro. They all work extremely well for Country; but they all have difference tones. Tell us what tone you're after.
            -Butch

Comment

Or, what sound you have now, and what you don't like about it.

Comment

I've played a LOT of country gigs with a 5/2 and always liked it a lot. I've had good experiences with the Vintage Stack too if you need noiseless.

Comment

I was looking more for the Brent Mason funky double stops type of sound nowadays, i'm not sure if the J.D will do that? Heres a clip i recorded a few years back with the 5/2 so maybe best to go with another one of those.....

Regards
                  Rob(uk)

Comment

Originally posted by robkay15 View Post
                    I was looking more for the Brent Mason funky double stops type of sound nowadays, i'm not sure if the J.D will do that? Heres a clip i recorded a few years back with the 5/2 so maybe best to go with another one of those.....

Regards
                    Rob(uk)
                    Brent uses the Vintage Stack and has since it came out. He's using a 5/2 on his Hot Licks video. I believe maybe an Alnico 2 Pro before that?

I have used all of those and they all twang and get that great Country tone. I use a Jerry Donahue pickup as well. It's probably my favorite and it twangs fine. Remember, your amp is a primary force in the equation and your right hand technique is critical.
                    -Butch

Comment

Thanks Butch......did you use one of the Wilkinson J.D. pickups in one of your guitars at one point i ma y be getting you mixed up with someone else.....if not any thoughs on the Wilkinson one?
                      Regards
                      Rob(uk)

Comment

Originally posted by Butch Snyder View Post
                        Brent uses the Vintage Stack and has since it came out. He's using a 5/2 on his Hot Licks video. I believe maybe an Alnico 2 Pro before that?

I have used all of those and they all twang and get that great Country tone. I use a Jerry Donahue pickup as well. It's probably my favorite and it twangs fine. Remember, your amp is a primary force in the equation and your right hand technique is critical.
                        I agree with all of this. Pick the power level you want, and if you want hum-cancelling, because all of them have a ton of twang. The rest is right hand technique.

Comment

Originally posted by robkay15 View Post
                          Thanks Butch......did you use one of the Wilkinson J.D. pickups in one of your guitars at one point i ma y be getting you mixed up with someone else.....if not any thoughs on the Wilkinson one?
                          Regards
                          Rob(uk)
                          Yes, that was me. I owned two Vintage V58-JD guitars with the Wilkinson pickups. They're ok; but that's all, nothing great. A real Jerry Donahue and Alnico 2 Pro Strat pickup will be leaps and bounds better.
                          -Butch

Comment

Working...
                          X