Hidden GEM in the EMG line-up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hidden GEM in the EMG line-up.

Some time ago, I went from decades of EMGs back to all passives. I’m still having a great time - but windings, and DC Resistance and magnet types can contribute to OCD. Before switching back to passives, I had gravitated toward the EMG 57 because - to my ears at least - it sounded noticeable less compressed and aggressive than the 81 and 85 that I had used forever. I was able to get relatively decent cleans with the volume knob and a 57 in a way that I never could with the 81 or 85. Anyway, on a lark, I snapped up a 58-X and I gotta say, I am really impressed. I’ve got it an a single hum Alder Warmoth body with a Hipshot contour bridge and maple neck with maple fingerboard. They must have addressed the somewhat notorious buzz that many have reported of the early first-run 58 pickups, cause its no noisier than my 57 equipped guitars were. And the ‘X’ circuitry does seem to add some sparkle and clarity that I don’t hear with the standard non-‘X’ offerings. The volume taper is really smooth and clean and easy to dial in. And wide open, you get almost passive pickup style string separation. It’s a cool pickup.

Re: Hidden GEM in the EMG line-up.

Would definitely love to try a 58 at some point. Not a fan of the X series, myself, but the non-X would be a cool pickup for me to try for sure.

How do you think it compares to the 57? Have you tried the 85 in the bridge? How do you think it compares to that too?

Comment

The EMG literature shows noticeably less output than the 81 or 85. I will say, I have had issues with my EMG equipped guitars being prone to squealing when playing at stage volume - just because they throw so much signal at the amp. Kinda like having a clean boost cranked up all the time. That was the big breath of fresh air that I noticed when I made the move back to passive pickups - I could stand right in front of my amp at stage volume with the volume knob on the guitar wide open with zero squealing like the fire breathing EMGs. The 58 is the same as the passives in that regard. Much less signal being thrown at the front end of the amp and much easier to control. It is a very ‘clear’ pickup. Noticeably less compression than the 81/85 or even the 57 which is somewhere between the 58 and the 81/85. The tone profile sounds and feels really neutral - no pronounced lows mids or highs. No pronounced peaks or notches in the tonal spectrum. It almost sounds totally ‘flat’ compared to the 57 which feels like it has more lows and highs with a bit of a scoop in the mids. My sense is the 58 really lets the tonal differences in the wood / hardware of the guitar come through. So far, I am really digging the 58-X.
      Last edited by PDC; 05-09-2020, 06:08 AM.

Comment

EMG’s get a lot of unnecessary crap because idiots who don’t know a thing about amp settings or good tone if it hit them in the face post countless review videos on YouTube, mostly chugging useless s***.
        The fact that David Gilmour, Gary Moore, Eddie Van Halen, etc used EMG’s says a lot. They’re not for everyone but they definitely have their place and I’ve seen people get amazing tones out of them.
        I used to use for a bit both the 81 or 85 in a single pickup, single volume MIJ 80’s Kramer Focus 1000 with the 18v mod and it sounded absolutely massive. You definitely have to adjust your playing a bit and your settings because they can be very sensitive and make a s*** player sound even worse cause they’re very transparent.

Comment

hm that really sounds good and i may try it at some point.
          the EMG site says something like P90 voiced for the 58 which scared me off.
          But if i think about it: steel blades won't get an authentic p-90 tone, so in this case this might be a good thing

Comment

got lucky and a used one popped up a month ago.
            I agree with the OP. the 58X is less aggressive than the 85/81 but far from boring. mids are more pleasing to my ears and a nice amount of brightness.
            a lot more open which i like.
            It's less hot also.

Comment

Working...
            X