The JB "I call BS on everyone" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Because the magnet get old right. That's how that works, isn't it? Because you learned that on your magna-doodle...
    Ace..back when I was a Regular here wasn't it noted that the difference is between the winders.....

MJ and Seymour use different winders......they count ticks differently......tension is different.....

I have had several MJ JB's they tend to have a different midrange than Stock wind.

Comment

• Originally posted by LuredMaul View Post

Ace..back when I was a Regular here wasn't it noted that the difference is between the winders.....

MJ and Seymour use different winders......they count ticks differently......tension is different.....

I have had several MJ JB's they tend to have a different midrange than Stock wind.
      Hey man - we'll science the $#!t out of one and find out.

Musical mythology is strong...
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

• Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
        No, I swapped in new mags to all of them. Must have been ur magna doodle. I presume the differences in the JBJ are from the wind and the age. While the Ant's differences must be from the wind and simulated aging.
        So explain how that "age" thing works.

Comment

• From Duncan:

The Antiquity JB delivers rich harmonics, and a balance of sustain, distortion, and clarity, sweetened by the mellowing effect of a custom aged alnico 5 bar magnet and years of simulated sweat, dust, and oxidation. Wound to the original spec of 16.4k, that familiar JB upper midrange is all there, but the overall tonal character feels smoother because of the way the treble attack is softened by the aging process.

Each Antiquity JB humbucker is hand built with the same original materials that we used to make them in the 70s, including long legged nickel silver bottom plate, maple spacer, original JB model stamp, rough sand cast alnico 5 bar magnet, heavily aged butyrate bobbins, and vintage style push-back braided single conductor lead wire. The electronic and cosmetic treatments of our proprietary Antiquity aging process give this pickup the look, sound, and feel of a real-deal 70s JB.

A vintage take on our original hot rodded humbucker, it gives you all of the classic midrange with a slightly sweetened treble response.

The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

• I didn't ask for you to copy an SD post we have all read. I wanted YOU to explain what say 35 years of age does to a magnet, and how.

Comment

• I remember as a kid, being told to always keep the "keeper" on my horseshoe magnet so that it would retain its charge. Wouldn't the poles and screws on a humbucker act as the keeper, and thus, there be the potential for the magnetic strength to actually increase with age? I don't know. Inquiring minds want to know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                I didn't ask for you to copy an SD post we have all read. I wanted YOU to explain what say 35 years of age does to a magnet, and how.
                I don't know the specifics of how age affects a pickup. I just hold the opinion that something is going on between a JBJ and a new JB because they sound way differently to me. My opinion is that it's both the JBJ was made differently in the first place back in 86 or whatever and that the age changes it somehow.
                I bought them for you

Comment

• Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

I don't know
                  You could have stopped right there.

Comment

• Why is that? You don't even own JBJs and Ants (unless I'm mistaken and you just don't post about them) and you're debating the whole forum.
                    I bought them for you

Comment

• Clint - here is a life lesson: Lawyers never ask questions they don't already know the answers to. You, of all people need to learn that more than anyone here.

Which brings us to all the Blues Lawyers discussing their "arguments" regarding the plethora of JB's.

I'm going out on a limb (and it's a sturdy thick limb, like my Johnson) that when the company that invented them - an artist and a bunch of really smart engineers, decided to change anything - if they though it was in anyway, shape, or form superior, or even different, they would have called it the Super JB or whatever "New and improved" there was. Why? To sell a crap-ton as JB players replaced their old ones and new players swarmed on it because it had or didn't have the one thing that kept them all away.

And yet - that didn't happen did it? Except with Antiquities. And as always - while some may be critical and objective, brand and price may weigh heavily on our views. The blind tests will tell.

Where is Magneto - I mean Blueman, when you need a lesson in Magnetism!
                      Last edited by Aceman; 11-28-2020, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• Ace - if you're so smart you should know that 'I am a lawyer' isn't an explanation. However me saying I own a regular JB, JBJ and Ant and I can hear the differences easily is a valid explanation.

Why doesn't Ford call it the super duper Mustang? People covet vintage cars like crazy even though the current models aren't named the 'super duper'.
                        I bought them for you

Comment

• The JB kind of reminds me of the Coca-Cola formula. Both recipes have changed over time (butyrate bobbins >> ABS plastic, roughcast >> polished mags) while under the same name, and some people can tell a difference.

(As a side, non-sequitir, the Coke recipe has changed more times and ways than people realize)

Comment

• Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                            The JB kind of reminds me of the Coca-Cola formula. Both recipes have changed over time (butyrate bobbins >> ABS plastic, roughcast >> polished mags) while under the same name, and some people can tell a difference.

(As a side, non-sequitir, the Coke recipe has changed more times and ways than people realize)

https://www.theloop.ca/coke-just-cha...he-same-again/
                            And that's what makes this exciting, doesn't it?!?!?!?!?

Comment

• As a side note, it was really interesting to read about the Coke recipe. As far as the JB goes, without doing a direct comparison (all in one day), I don't think I am the right person to tell a difference.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

• Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                                As a side note, it was really interesting to read about the Coke recipe. As far as the JB goes, without doing a direct comparison (all in one day), I don't think I am the right person to tell a difference.
                                My point exactly - I think almost no one will be able to

A) State what they think the best-favorite JB is and then,
                                B) Name them from a sound sample
                                C) Pick their favorite as the one they like best of 4-6 different ones.

No one is the right person....because they are not different enough to tell! Just a hypothesis, rather an empirical question that can be answered by gathering and examination of data.

Comment

Working...
                                X