Okay, NOW my Tele's finished.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, NOW my Tele's finished.

I guess the Swiss-army idea was a bad one. I tried a tapped QP in my MIM Nashville Tele, but just didn't find the full coil useful. It was too muted sounding, plenty powerful, but it just didn't jump out. I liked the tap sound, but as Tele bridge pickups go, it's still a bit of a compromise, so...

The QP went back to Duncan in exchange for a good old Vintage '54. Plain and simple. I love it. It's everything I love about Tele's. So now the line up is:

Bridge: Duncan Vintage '54
    Middle: Fender Tex-Mex Strat
    Neck: Duncan SM-1 Mini Humbucker

Right now, it's wired with one volume for the bridge/middle and a separate volume for the neck. This is just about the ultimate Tele for me.

Of course, now that the QP do-it-all idea has been scrapped, I'm GASsing for a LP clone.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Re: Okay, NOW my Tele's finished.

Thats cool that you found your "sound". I love my QP's, but then again, I use them as neck & middle pups, reinforced by a C5 in the bridge.

So, did you use the tone knob for the second volume control, or add a third knob? Sounds interesting.

Comment

The ex-tone knob is now the neck pickup volume control. I've never used a tone control in my life, so I generally find other uses for them.

I'm going to live with this control scheme for a while and see how I like it.
      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
      Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

I don't use tone controls either. I may convert mine over to dial-a-split duties. Not sure yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S
          I guess the Swiss-army idea was a bad one. I tried a tapped QP in my MIM Nashville Tele, but just didn't find the full coil useful. It was too muted sounding, plenty powerful, but it just didn't jump out. I liked the tap sound, but as Tele bridge pickups go, it's still a bit of a compromise, so...

The QP went back to Duncan in exchange for a good old Vintage '54. Plain and simple. I love it. It's everything I love about Tele's. So now the line up is:

Bridge: Duncan Vintage '54
          Middle: Fender Tex-Mex Strat
          Neck: Duncan SM-1 Mini Humbucker

Right now, it's wired with one volume for the bridge/middle and a separate volume for the neck. This is just about the ultimate Tele for me.

Of course, now that the QP do-it-all idea has been scrapped, I'm GASsing for a LP clone.

Eventually, you might want to try out the STL-2 Tapped. I have one in my MIJ 69RI Thinline and it does the traditional tele sound very well when tapped (as good as the JD in my ash solidbody) and in full mode, it can keep up with my LP (Seth set) and Hamer (Pearly Gates set) with no problems.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
          X