Does Alnico II weaken over time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Alnico II weaken over time?

I read somewhere that Alnico II magnets weaken over time. Anyone have insight into this? I'm thinking about purchasing a Custom Custom but I don't want the magnet to weaken, that would suck. I have another question about the Custom Custom pickup...is it an articulate pickup? I mean are notes defined under heavy distortion, or do they mush? I figured since it's a lower output pickup that it would be more defined, this is what my mind is telling me anyway.

Re: Does Alnico II weaken over time?

I haven't played the CC, but I can tell you it takes an awful lot for a magnet to degrade to the point that you would notice a change in tone. I've heard that a magets of this type degrade/weaken something like .02% over 30 or 40 years- not anytime soon.

Comment

I had heard somewhere that that was what made the original Pauls classic - when the buckers got "tired" they warmed up something fierce. That was in the early/late 70's. Before that a 58 Paul was just an old guitar (not considering the visual impact of a killer flame).

And I think the CC might not be "articulate enough for you. I describe it as crunchy and buttery. The high end is really smooth/fat, but it has a serious mid bite. Give one a listen first. I love it though in my bridge!
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I've got JBs from the mid '80s that still sound like newer ones I've had. I tend to think it's just a myth or a subjective tone kind of thing.

Comment

Working...
        X