banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Seymour Duncan Should I Go For Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OsvyRock View Post
    Got a PRS Starla SE in the States since I had to left my guitars when I moved here from Puerto Rico.
    There I have guitars with the following combinations:

Squier Affinity Strat: TB-4 JB/ STK-S7 / STK-S6
    SG Standard: 498T/490R
    DBZ Bolero: SH-5 Duncan Custom / 59'nJ
    Gibson Flying V: Super Distortion / PAF Pro

My favorite ones are the Flying V, Squier & Bolero. Bolero was my #1, but I started digging the Strat vibe, and I love the tone of the Super Distortion.
    The thing is I don't want to repeat pickup combinations, but would like something hotter, but that can pull out good cleans too. Just got one volume knob + one tone knob so the balance between both pickups have to be on point.
    I have considered a Distortion Mayhem set, a TB-6/Jazz set, the Pearly Gates set, the Custom 5 as a bridge, and even the new Jupiter set. Which one would you recommend for me?
    This guitar has a very woody percussive tone, full mahogany, wide fat neck. Don't play the hardest/darkest of all metal, but like to play with high gain a lot, but also appreciate good clean tones.
    Feel free to ask me any questions and if someone's selling something, please let me know. Made a post on the Trading Post, and nobody replied or anything. This are definitely hard times for all but if you have good pickups for sale, let me know. Really looking for Seymour Duncan or (some) Dimarzio at this time.
    Matbe a JB T.B. and a Jazz neck?. They were meant to go together, and the JB will sound different in that guitar. Or a Super Distortion/PAF 36th Anniversary neck combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabelais View Post

Matbe a JB T.B. and a Jazz neck?. They were meant to go together, and the JB will sound different in that guitar. Or a Super Distortion/PAF 36th Anniversary neck combo.
      The JB is a pickup that you’re either going to like or you won’t. If you’re not familiar with it, I’d suggest trying to check out a guitar with one installed before you buy, if possible. I have tried the JB stock, with an A2 and an A8 and it’s just not my thing.

I had the Super D/36 combo in my LP a while back. It’s a good set. I think you said you’ve already got a SD equipped guitar?

I’d suggest the Custom Custom or the Distortion.
      The CC is a fantastic pickup. Don’t let the fact that it has an A2 mag sway you. I shied away from it for a long time because I thought the A2 wouldn’t be powerful or aggressive enough....I was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by weepingminotaur View Post

Oh, I reported him straightaway. And will continue to do so in future!
        Thank you! This actually helps a lot!
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post

This video says it’s a coil split on the tone knob.

The Custom Custom to my ears doesn’t sound vintage even with the A2 mag. It’s very smooth but still kicks like a mule

The JB is a pickup that you’re either going to like or you won’t. If you’re not familiar with it, I’d suggest trying to check out a guitar with one installed before you buy, if possible. I have tried the JB stock, with an A2 and an A8 and it’s just not my thing.

I had the Super D/36 combo in my LP a while back. It’s a good set. I think you said you’ve already got a SD equipped guitar?

I’d suggest the Custom Custom or the Distortion.
          The CC is a fantastic pickup. Don’t let the fact that it has an A2 mag sway you. I shied away from it for a long time because I thought the A2 wouldn’t be powerful or aggressive enough....I was wrong.

Thanks for the coil split clarification. Would it be normal coil split wiring?
          I thought about the Custom Custom (A2) Pickup years ago when I had a sound crisis with Slash Alnico II Pro Set on my Flying V. With 2 volume knobs + one tone knob, the set is unbalanced. While I always the tone knob rolled back at 3-4, the AII Pro Bridge needed to be at 7-8 to not be on the swamp mud of tone.
          I considered CC + Slash AII Pro vs CC + PGn combination for my PRS, but went for the TB-6 since I got good results with TB-4, SH-5 Pickups, and I do know Seymour Duncan pickups do the trick for me. Really wanted to have the TB-6 + Jazz combo on my arsenal. Just don’t know what to expect. I like hard rock distortion, so it should do a good job there. Going to miss on the cleans, I think. I just don’t want to repeat on any tone/pickup combination.

Already got TB-4/STK-S7/STK-6, SH-5/59’, Super Distortion/PAF Pro and 498T/490R.

What I’m giving it thought now, before traveling to the guitar tech is how a PRS will play with .11-gauge strings on standard. I play .10 - .46 on my Strat, and .11 - .49 on Gibson/DBZ. The Starla has a 25’’ scale*

Check out my solo singer/songwriter/guitarist work on Facebook!
          Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Thanks for the coil split clarification. Would it be normal coil split wiring?
            I thought about the Custom Custom (A2) Pickup years ago when I had a sound crisis with Slash Alnico II Pro Set on my Flying V. With 2 volume knobs + one tone knob, the set is unbalanced. While I always the tone knob rolled back at 3-4, the AII Pro Bridge needed to be at 7-8 to not be on the swamp mud of tone.
            I considered CC + Slash AII Pro vs CC + PGn combination for my PRS, but went for the TB-6 since I got good results with TB-4, SH-5 Pickups, and I do know Seymour Duncan pickups do the trick for me. Really wanted to have the TB-6 + Jazz combo on my arsenal. Just don’t know what to expect. I like hard rock distortion, so it should do a good job there. Going to miss on the cleans, I think. I just don’t want to repeat on any tone/pickup combination.

Already got TB-4/STK-S7/STK-6, SH-5/59’, Super Distortion/PAF Pro and 498T/490R.

What I’m giving it thought now, before traveling to the guitar tech is how a PRS will play with .11-gauge strings on standard. I play .10 - .46 on my Strat, and .11 - .49 on Gibson/DBZ. The Starla has a 25’’ scale*

l know. I can only recommend pups that I have used. So I suggest giving the Jazz neck a try. Very clear sounding in singlecut guitars, so probably will be clearer in a Starla.

Comment

l know. I can only recommend pups that I have used. So I suggest giving the Jazz neck a try. Very clear sounding in singlecut guitars, so probably will be clearer in a Starla.
              Thanks for the recommendations. Out of Duncan, I considered the PAF36th set, but I only have satisfactory results with Seymour Duncan. Even the ones that I didn't like (the Slash AII Pro) wasn't for tone issues but because my playing style is based on volume use, and I don't like to use lower output pickups for gain. Takes too much volume/pedals to get to high gain heaven.
              I read great things about the JB & Jazz on PRS. Looking forward to hearing my Distortion/Jazz Combo.
              Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations. Out of Duncan, I considered the PAF36th set, but I only have satisfactory results with Seymour Duncan. Even the ones that I didn't like (the Slash AII Pro) wasn't for tone issues but because my playing style is based on volume use, and I don't like to use lower output pickups for gain. Takes too much volume/pedals to get to high gain heaven.
                I read great things about the JB & Jazz on PRS. Looking forward to hearing my Distortion/Jazz Combo.
                I will tell you that the 36 neck is THICK. I had to lower it quite a bit to clear it up. It sounds like John Sykes’ tone on the Whitesnake album. Just thick and singing tone.

Comment

I will tell you that the 36 neck is THICK. I had to lower it quite a bit to clear it up. It sounds like John Sykes’ tone on the Whitesnake album. Just thick and singing tone.
                  So it could be bass hell on this guitar. Would like something clearer with less bass on this guitar. Perhaps the Jazz would do the trick. I tried the Transition neck (supposedly a PAF36 neck on STEROIDS). HATED IT!!!! Dark, Lifeless Cleans and FULL OF BASS!!!!! It worked nicely on gain but it definitely wasn't the pickup for me. I'll have it on mind when I need something with more bass in the future. The one who did the trick on my guitar was the PAF Pro. I knew it was the perfect once the tech knocked on the pickup. It hasn't disappointed on my Flying V. It took three guitar neck pickups (Slash AII Pro, Transition, PAF Master & PAF Pro) to get it right.
                  Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

So it could be bass hell on this guitar. Would like something clearer with less bass on this guitar. Perhaps the Jazz would do the trick. I tried the Transition neck (supposedly a PAF36 neck on STEROIDS). HATED IT!!!! Dark, Lifeless Cleans and FULL OF BASS!!!!! It worked nicely on gain but it definitely wasn't the pickup for me. I'll have it on mind when I need something with more bass in the future. The one who did the trick on my guitar was the PAF Pro. I knew it was the perfect once the tech knocked on the pickup. It hasn't disappointed on my Flying V. It took three guitar neck pickups (Slash AII Pro, Transition, PAF Master & PAF Pro) to get it right.
                    I haven’t personally used a Jazz but from what I understand it is very clear....might be a good choice.
                    You could probably get one used cheap too.

Comment

I haven’t personally used a Jazz but from what I understand it is very clear....might be a good choice.
                      You could probably get one used cheap too.
                      Got the TB-6 + SH-2n used with black bobbins for $137.12.
                      Sometimes I hear the Jazz as a muddy pickup on certain clips, so I'll definitely feedback on the experience.
                      I still would like for the Seymour Duncan to keep producing (mass-produced) pickups that can fill out other tone needs besides just ''metal'' or ''vintage PAF'', something like a low/medium output with heat. I did like the videos of the Eric Steckel ''Candy'' Pickups, but they're Custom Shop...
                      Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Wanted to provide an update regarding my pickups!
                        I'll be picking up the guitar this Saturday!
                        Hyped to try out this combination.
                        I'm a fan of the JB & Custom!
                        Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

And that's a cool guitar to put them in!
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Got the TB-6 + SH-2n used with black bobbins for $137.12.
                            Sometimes I hear the Jazz as a muddy pickup on certain clips, so I'll definitely feedback on the experience.
                            I still would like for the Seymour Duncan to keep producing (mass-produced) pickups that can fill out other tone needs besides just ''metal'' or ''vintage PAF'', something like a low/medium output with heat. I did like the videos of the Eric Steckel ''Candy'' Pickups, but they're Custom Shop...
                            I'm looking forward to your feedback on the Jazz in your Starla. I have a Jazz in 2 of my Les Pauls and have never perceived any tone issue. I haven't kept statistics, but I want to say comments I see are an even good/bad split for the Jazz.
                            I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              And that's a cool guitar to put them in!
                              Thank you! It definitely plays amazing!
                              Looking forward to the new guitar sound!

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post

I'm looking forward to your feedback on the Jazz in your Starla. I have a Jazz in 2 of my Les Pauls and have never perceived any tone issue. I haven't kept statistics, but I want to say comments I see are an even good/bad split for the Jazz.
                              Hello JamesPaul ! So you would like a review of the Jazz doing coil splits? I asked my tech to do a ''half split''. He said that's what PRS does on their guitars, so they don't the 60 cycle hum thingy. I'll review as soon as I get the guitar, and plug it in
                              Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Hello JamesPaul ! So you would like a review of the Jazz doing coil splits? I asked my tech to do a ''half split''. He said that's what PRS does on their guitars, so they don't the 60 cycle hum thingy. I'll review as soon as I get the guitar, and plug it in
                                Sometimes I like to think of English as a second language.

Just your overall opinion of the Jazz in your Starla, however you have it configured.

I meant the Jazz reviews I have seen are 50% like it, and 50% don't. I have been liking my Jazz since 1983, but I see others not liking the Jazz and favoring a '59 or an APH-2.
                                I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Working...
                                X