JB or C5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JB or C5?

i would vote but i do not use either, so i have never played one long enough to vote. I might get a C5 one day.
    Cleveland Guitars

Comment

The JB is the ultimate pickup if you're a rocker!! FS is great too, but the JB is really versatile and sounds killer split...

Farkus
      2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
      1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Come on! Why is the JB such the underdog!

We need to get the Seymour Duncan guys to vote!

Comment

JB

only because im a shredder and the JB screams!!

Comment

The C5 times 4 for me! They just sound right to me. My two JBs are sitting in their boxes.

Fenders: '69 CS Strat; Hwy1 Strat SSL2's, SSL3T;CP Jaguar
            Gibsons: LP DC STD Seth & Brobucker; LP STD Plus PGn & CC; (2)ES-335's; LP R7 Custom SNS & C4; LP '68 Custom '59A4 & C5; LP Trad 2014 PG & SNS; Explorer PG & C4; SG Std '57 & BB3;
            Jacksons: SL2H w/DMZ AN & Super D; DK1 w/59 & C5; Dinky Elite, DK2 w/AN & AZ, RR5FR
            Marshall 2550 Silver Jubilee; JMP 2203, Vox AC15C1; Gibson Super Goldtone GA30RV; Suhr CAA-OD100SE+, CAA PT100; Fender Vibrolux Reverb

Comment

Jb

Comment

J f'n B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
                Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
                Suhr OD-50
                Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

Originally posted by shred-dog
                  J f'n B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
                  Couldn't have put it better myself!
                  Epiphone Les Paul Studio (59 neck and JB bridge)
                  Marshall Valvestate 8080 (80 watts)
                  Korg AX1500G multi-fx
                  RAT
                  Boss PH-1r
                  Ibanez cf-7
                  Ibanwz ts-7
                  Danelectro tremolo
                  Vintage RAT - needs a fix!

Not much else - it does the job

Dooogz is taking a break from SD - ill be back soon crew!

Comment

Originally posted by UCSDBoy
                    Oh, and Green Day. =)
                    I always think of No Use For A Name.
                    Originally posted by Nightburst
                    For all who think the JB sounds thin, listen to some late Thrice Stuff (The Illusion of savety, TAITA). They use JB's and Super Distortions on there and they get the most huge sounds out of it.
                    Guess what I voted ;p
                    They play JB too?! I didn't know this...
                    RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                    TS 7 (modded)
                    Hot Rod 50+ XL
                    Framus Dragon 4x12
                    V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Originally posted by Nightburst
                      For all who think the JB sounds thin, listen to some late Thrice Stuff (The Illusion of savety, TAITA). They use JB's and Super Distortions on there and they get the most huge sounds out of it.
                      Guess what I voted ;p
                      i think thrices tone has a little more to do with the rest of their equipment as opposed to just their pickups alone. Dustins using a mesa boogie three channel dual rectifier and Teipeis got a bogner uberschall amp combined with a mesa 4x12 rectifier cab. They also tune their guitars really low like drop c# and use 11-52 gauge strings. Thats where they get their fat tones from. Another thing id like to mention is that it's difficult to duplicate guitar tones off cd's simply because good eq'ing on an expensive board will make any guitar sound decent. No disrespect, i love thrice
                      Last edited by beni; 04-18-2004, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Depends on what you want. I have used the C-5 and JB and prefer the C-5 for the big bottom push and fuller tone.

Comment

I like both, but the Custom 5, IMO, is the best sounding humbucker Duncan makes. My ears are still ringing right now from an afternoon of highgain lead playing on two guitars,......guess what? One had a Custom 5 and the other had a JB.

I was also doing a preamp tube shootout on my Bogner tonight, using both those LP's. So, I was really listening to the nuances tonight! On clean,
                          plexi tone, and G. Lynch/Cantrell type highgain.

The Custom 5 is more balanced tonally from deep, tight lows, neutral mids,
                          and sweet airy highs. When jumping from channel to channel, the Custom
                          5 delivered the most satisfying tone, since it sounds like a nice, high output
                          version of everything you love about your guitar.

The JB has more density in the mids, which makes it sound thick and ballsy on highgain, but a bit nasally on clean channels. It has about the same output as the C-5. The low end is where the JB suffers, compared to the
                          Custom 5. It's nice and warm, but a little squashier in the lows.
                          One thing I really love about the JB is that lead notes high on the neck
                          have no shrillness, just creamy fat singing notes. The C-5 is similar, but
                          has a touch more sparkle in the high notes.

Also, during this tone test tonight, I started to notice that the 59 neck has
                          just a bit more output than I'd like it to have. Great for singing solos on the neck, but a bit hot for rhythm playing.

So, my summary would be that the JB and C-5 are the best of the bunch, but
                          I'd personally give the nod to the C-5, mostly because of it's tighter, more percussive lows, and more natural tone from the mids to the highs.
                          I'm also starting to wonder if I wouldn't rather have Jazz necks in my guitars.

I need to buy a Jazz neck soon, because I'm inclined to believe that the
                          Custom 5/Jazz neck might be my favorite humbucking Duncan set.
                          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                            I like both, but the Custom 5, IMO, is the best sounding humbucker Duncan makes. My ears are still ringing right now from an afternoon of highgain lead playing on two guitars,......guess what? One had a Custom 5 and the other had a JB.

I was also doing a preamp tube shootout on my Bogner tonight, using both those LP's. So, I was really listening to the nuances tonight! On clean,
                            plexi tone, and G. Lynch/Cantrell type highgain.

The Custom 5 is more balanced tonally from deep, tight lows, neutral mids,
                            and sweet airy highs. When jumping from channel to channel, the Custom
                            5 delivered the most satisfying tone, since it sounds like a nice, high output
                            version of everything you love about your guitar.

The JB has more density in the mids, which makes it sound thick and ballsy on highgain, but a bit nasally on clean channels. It has about the same output as the C-5. The low end is where the JB suffers, compared to the
                            Custom 5. It's nice and warm, but a little squashier in the lows.
                            One thing I really love about the JB is that lead notes high on the neck
                            have no shrillness, just creamy fat singing notes. The C-5 is similar, but
                            has a touch more sparkle in the high notes.

Also, during this tone test tonight, I started to notice that the 59 neck has
                            just a bit more output than I'd like it to have. Great for singing solos on the neck, but a bit hot for rhythm playing.

So, my summary would be that the JB and C-5 are the best of the bunch, but
                            I'd personally give the nod to the C-5, mostly because of it's tighter, more percussive lows, and more natural tone from the mids to the highs.
                            I'm also starting to wonder if I wouldn't rather have Jazz necks in my guitars.

I need to buy a Jazz neck soon, because I'm inclined to believe that the
                            Custom 5/Jazz neck might be my favorite humbucking Duncan set.
                            you're right, i need to get a C5 for one of my guitars.
                            you know...

just to check it out

Comment

I used to always use JB's in my Kramers, but I prefer slightly lower output pu's these days so C5 gets my vote.
                              GUITARS
                              STRATS: Custom Strat - Lil 59/Classic Stack/Hot Stack, Jackson Fusion - C5/JB Jr/JB Jr, Kramer Pacer Custom - CC/SSL-1/SSL-1, Schecter V-1 Plus - C5/SSL-6/SSL-6, VH1 Strat - 59, Fender Partsocaster - C/PG hybrids

LESTERS: Edwards Sykes Custom - DD/DD, Edwards Custom V/white - JB/59, Burny Floyd Rose Les Paul
                              AMPS
                              Engl Screamer 50 combo + V112 Cab, Splawn Competition, Marshall 1982A & 1982B, Marshall 1960A.

Comment

Great stuff gearjoneser...thanks! That's what I like about the C-5 over the JB also, but I do miss the thick and dense mids for high gain rhythm. Your thoughts on creamy, thick leads on the higher frets is one thing I miss with the C-5.
                                Last edited by papersoul; 04-19-2004, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X