No announcement yet.

Control pots working in reverse> HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control pots working in reverse> HELP!

I just installed 2 new duncans in my SG, "59 in the neck, Custom-5 in the bridge. The '59 has a single conductor wire, the C-5 a four conductor wire. I would like to wire these PU's so I can work them both independently in the middle 3 way switch position. I found a diagram in the Everything SG site, it was called "Wiring for dummies". I wired my pots the way the diagram said, and my controls work in reverse. When I turn my controls clockwise, my volume decreases, it should increase. On my old pots, the caps were soldered to the volumes left lug, to the tones middle lug. On this new diagram, the caps are soldered to the volumes middle lug, to the tones middle lug. Would this be my problem? I also get a loud hum when I turn my volumes up. I can't figure out why my controls work in reverse. I was also told on the 4 conductor wire to solder the white and green wires together, red as hot, black and bare as ground. Is this right? Can anyone help me out? These are not reverse left hand pots, I already checked.

Re: Control pots working in reverse> HELP!

Originally posted by mark129
    These are not reverse left hand pots, I already checked.
    Heh-heh . . . there's no such thing as a "left-hand" pot. If you want a pot to work one way, you wire up its outside terminals one way. To reverse it, just switch the outside two terminals. Thats all you need to do to get them to work correctly.

On Duncan p'ups, generally, black is hot, green and braid are ground, and red & white get soldered together.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
      Heh-heh . . . there's no such thing as a "left-hand" pot. If you want a pot to work one way, you wire up its outside terminals one way. To reverse it, just switch the outside two terminals. Thats all you need to do to get them to work correctly.
      I thought that was only the case with linear taper pots, and that reversing wiring on an audio taper pot caused it to behave a little strangely?

(I could be completely wrong of course, I'm no electronics engineer I have to admit )

Comment

Originally posted by southadc
        I thought that was only the case with linear taper pots, and that reversing wiring on an audio taper pot caused it to behave a little strangely?

(I could be completely wrong of course, I'm no electronics engineer I have to admit )
        You are essentially correct. I just meant that its not called a "left-hand" pot. (Except, maybe in guitar slangiology.) If you want an audio-taper pot to go the "other" way, you'ld want to have a "reverse-taper" pot. I believe these are designated with an "N" or "M" suffix. (I'll have to check my catalog to be sure.)

Comment

This is the way I have my PU's wired in now. What would I have to switch in this diagram? As you can tell, this is the first time I had to wire in a PU. Any help would be great!

Discover the latest breaking news in the U.S. and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.

Comment

Mark; if that drawing is shown facing the back of the guitar, then its wired correct.
            You're bridge pickup is not wired correctly, but that won't cause the problem you're having. The bridge should be:

Black to the center of the volume control.
            red and white soldered together.
            Green and braid to ground.

Double-check your wiring diagram and see if you copied it from the guitar correctly.
            Also, which volume control works backwards, both, or just one?

Comment

Both volumes and tones work backwards. Someone told me if I just switch my wiring it would work fine. I don't know if they mean reverse the wires on the two outside lugs, or the first and middle lugs, and leave the third lug ground where it is? Yes, this diagram is looking down into the control cavity. I will change my 4 conductor wiring around, maybe thats why I'm getting a loud hum when I turn the volumes up. Does it matter which lugs I solder the caps to, as long as its not on the gound lug?

Comment

On Duncan p'ups, generally, black is hot, green and braid are ground, and red & white get soldered together.
                Artie is the bare the shield for the pup wires? If so, wouldnt that eliminate the need to shield its cavities? Always wondered about that.

Comment

Mark; Yes, switching the outside two terminals will reverse the operation of the pot. In the case of the tone pots, it means the "other" terminal will be bare. But this also means that the drawing you posted can't be correct.

Picture this: You're looking at the back of the guitar. You place your thumb on the top of the volume control, and roll it towards the neck. (Towards the left, in your diagram.) That will short the wiper to the left terminal, which would be full volume. The tone is the same way. Rolling the top towards the left will put maximum resistance between it and the cap, which would be the tone control on "10".

I don't suppose you could post a pick of the front of the guitar could you? Showing the controls. Is it possible to have "left-hand" knobs? So that you're actually turning the controls the wrong way?

Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz6
                    Artie is the bare the shield for the pup wires? If so, wouldnt that eliminate the need to shield its cavities? Always wondered about that.
                    Yes, it is the shield for the p'up wires, and also, usually grounds the pickup's mounting plate, but it doesn't necessarily eliminate the need to shield the cavities. I don't really have a lot of experience in this area. Hopefully someone else can comment on that aspect.

Comment

The knobs are right. I think I'll switch the ground to the fist lug and the 3 way switch lead to the third lug, where the gounds are now. I'll leave the PU lead on the middle lug with the cap and see how that works.

Comment

P.S. Does it matter which lugs the caps are soldered on to the volume and tone pots? Should I solder the cap on the volume pot with the PU lead wire, or with the 3 way switch wire? Then solder the cap to the middle lug on the tone pot?

Comment

Mark; before you do that, could you answer this? If you hold the guitar in your lap, and I assume you're right-handed, and you place your thumb on top of the volume control, and roll the top towards the neck, does the volume go up or down?

Comment

You are essentially correct. I just meant that its not called a "left-hand" pot. (Except, maybe in guitar slangiology.) If you want an audio-taper pot to go the "other" way, you'ld want to have a "reverse-taper" pot. I believe these are designated with an "N" or "M" suffix. (I'll have to check my catalog to be sure.)
                            Well, there is a *left hand or counter clockwise taper* which is a *right hand taper* ... *I* didn't name it that way so stop throwing stuff ... Apparently, it gets it's name from the fact that the log taper is tapered (or measured) from the counter clockwise lug,(which happens to be the lug on the left if you hold it with the shaft pointing up, and the lugs facing you) to the wiper, as the wiper travels clockwise (0~10) the resistance between the wiper and the counter clockwise lug increases according to a logarithmic, well ... increase in resistance. On a reverse *right hand or clockwise taper*, it's the same taper, but laid out from the other end, the measurement (tapering) is between the clockwise lug and wiper ... hence 0~10 travels in a clockwise fashion.So a left hand taper is for right handers, and a right hand taper is for left handers.
                            Like I said ... I didn't name it that way ... so stop throwing stuff ...
                            Bear in mind also that most tapers are approximations, and not exact log. tapers, I'm not talking tolerance, I'm talking the taper is slightly different... a quote *audio taper* can be just about anything that the manufacturer wants it to be... Just a side note. Some companies reverse there nomenclature, others use whatever taper code they seem to want. ...
                            ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                            ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                            Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by mark129
                              Both volumes and tones work backwards. Someone told me if I just switch my wiring it would work fine. I don't know if they mean reverse the wires on the two outside lugs, or the first and middle lugs, and leave the third lug ground where it is? Yes, this diagram is looking down into the control cavity. I will change my 4 conductor wiring around, maybe thats why I'm getting a loud hum when I turn the volumes up. Does it matter which lugs I solder the caps to, as long as its not on the gound lug?
                              The diagram looks just fine, except for that the bridge pup should be black hot, white and red together, and green to ground along with the shield/drain wire (assuming the neck pup is a duncan also, and not an Ant. Duncan). Just like Artie stated. I haven't a clue why the controls would be working backwards, that would seem to be a physical impossibility.
                              ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                              ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                              Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
                              X