Limited Edition Duncans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Limited Edition Duncans

I wish these were not engraved because this sentence...

They're basically refined, and tighter sounding Seths with clearer articulation
    basically describes exactly what I'm looking for to put in my new Gibby.

I just don't like the look of the engraving
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Did you check to see what color bobbins you have under the hood?
      Peavey Classic 30 with Celestion G12H30
      Keeley Modded Boss BD-2 / SD Pickup Booster
      1993 Gibson Les Paul Studio- Custom (b) 59 (A4) (n)
      2001 58 Gibson Les Paul Reissue- 50th Anniv Seth Lover Set
      2002 Gibson Gary Moore Signature Les Paul- Stock
      2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard- Antiquity Set
      2001 Gibson ES335- 57 Classics
      2004 Gibson Les Paul Jr.- Antiquity Dog Ear
      Highway-1 (parts-o-caster)- Antiquity Texas Hot set
      Highway-1 (parts-o-Tele)- Antiquity Set

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB
        I wish these were not engraved because this sentence...

basically describes exactly what I'm looking for to put in my new Gibby.

I just don't like the look of the engraving
        You can always swap the covers for standard nickel covers, especially since there's no wax potting to worry about.

Ryan
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Originally posted by badco33
          Did you check to see what color bobbins you have under the hood?
          I could only see the screw pole sides. The bridge was black, and the neck was cream, although they could be solid or zebra....I dunno.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
            As an added note, I think I'm going to put a 500K pot in the neck volume, but I'll leave the 300K in the bridge, just to keep it as is.
            Good idea! If you need to cut the highs on the bridge any more than that you can add a second tone capacitor in parallel with the first one. Like when I had Seth Lovers in my Heritage H-535 I thought that the bridge pickup was too bright with a 0.022uF tone cap so I soldered a 0.01uF cap in parallel which brought it up to 0.032uF. (Caps in parallel add up like resistors in series, and vice versa.) One advantage in adding two capacitors together (as opposed to using a single cap) is that you can mix different types to create a blend of their characteristics. Like adding a smaller ceramic cap in parallel with a larger poly cap seems to work well...
            Steve Ahola

The Blue Guitar:
            http://www.blueguitar.org/

SoundClick Page:
            http://www.soundclick.com/steveahola

Comment

I played my Ecstasy cranked last night with these pickups. What a great Alnico II 8.5 PAF tone that bridge has! With a highgain plexi tone, it's flat out Van Halen I, even with the Paul! The neck is quite a bit warmer, but it's a sweet sustaining sound that literally doesn't stop till you pull your finger off the string. Really, one of the very best neck pickups I've heard.

I might change my mind about my pickup choice at User Group Day. My initial idea was an overwound Custom 5, but now I think I may want an overwound version of this Anniversary pickup in a double black tremspaced version, if that's possible.
              I'd like a 9K tremspaced version of this pickup for my G&L Legacy Deluxe HSS, just to get an authentic VH 1&II type sound. Or, maybe just a hot EVH or something.

Comment

It just occurred to me that this pups specs match up to the EVH/78 very closely. Now that GJ says it cops VH tone well it really has me suspicious.

Luke
                “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                  Actually, it is different from the picture here. Both pickups are actually engraved with 50th Anniversary 1955-2005 They look great!
                  do you have a pic of the actual ones you got in your guitar with the 1955-2005 engraved on them?

-Mike
                  www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

No, no pics or clips yet, but I'm really re-evaluating my opinion of lower output humbuckers. I think over the years, I just kept thinking hotter was better, but I'm not so sure now. Hotter pickups have a slightly thicker tone, but when you get your amp rig dialed in fat, then use pickups in the Seth/59 range, you start to realize how sweet your tone can be. I've already come to that conclusion with strats, using vintage spec strat pickups, but now that I've been using these 50th Ann. pickups for a few days, I've realize they have a great tone, whether they're clean or super highgain, for shred type playing. They don't have that nasally compression that higher output pickups like JBs and CC's have. Just real natural, which lets the amp do the work.
                    I think I moved away from these types of pickups because I never liked Gibson 57's.
                    These remind me more of McCarty pickups, even though they're A2 instead of A5.
                    I wish I could hear the Anniversary A5's too, but I have a feeling the A2's are better.

Comment

bump

Comment

no more bumping for you 'til you bust out the camera and take me a pic lol...

-Mike
                        www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

WELL......after starting a thread earlier asking about these p/u's & Prophet pointing me towards these 2 threads, I have to say not a bigger 55gallon drum of worms has popped up in a long time.

Anyway, I'm glad I ordered a set of the A2s.....& if they're good enough for GJ, they're certainly good enough for me!!!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                          Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                          FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                          http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Terry, did you install your set yet? Or are you waiting till a new guitar arrives?

Comment

Working...
                            X