Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wiring help

Originally posted by briand
    Yea, that helped a lot. I can see what you’re saying.

This is a FedEx Express guitar and will probably end up in the FedEx museum so it won’t have much playtime on it. So I think I will go with the three on-off-on toggles and the three on-off toggles.

Really its just what I had in my head when I started to make this guitar and I just want to finish it the way I envisioned it at the start. I don’t give up to easily.

I have one more problem if you don’t mind. I want to get a hard case for it. Are there companies that do custom cases or will I have to gut one and do the inside of it myself? I would like one that is white. Do they make white ones?

Brian
    sorry, i cant help with the case .. try google if no one gives you a pointer here

good luck finishing up the project ... gonna pop those sweet pups out of it before you put it behind glass? ... i've heard that Dimarzios sound great for that application

cheers
    t4d
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

t45

Till me more about the dimarzios. Is it a good sound with a low cost. Quality and craftsmanship is number one on the list, so I should stick with SD pups. I was raised not to make crap if your name will be associated with it. All you have is your name after all.

Brian
      Brian

Comment

Artie, how are you making all of the diagrams? I see that you post them all over the place. Do you make them up on the fly?

Brian
        Sorta . . .

Some diagrams are just variations of SD diagrams. Its usually pretty easy to tell which ones those are. Most of them are ones I "draw" myself, but if I can, I pull bits and pieces from my own archives. I have a palette of coils, pickups, and switches already drawn up so that I don't have to do everything from scratch.

btw - I use a program called NeoPaint, from NeoSoft, but I'm not sure they're still around.

Comment

t45

Till me more about the dimarzios. Is it a good sound with a low cost. Quality and craftsmanship is number one on the list, so I should stick with SD pups. I was raised not to make crap if your name will be associated with it. All you have is your name after all.

Brian
          sorry, brian

that was my lame attempt at a joke ... (goofing on the idea that if a guitar is only going to be in a museum, it doesnt matter what pickups are in it because no one is going to hear it anymore)

i am sure that dimarzio makes fine pickups ... i have only very very little first hand experience with them, and all of it a LONG time ago ... i much prefer Duncans becuae they suit my sonic needs and have world-class customer service

good luck
          t4d
          gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days
            sorry, brian

that was my lame attempt at a joke ... (goofing on the idea that if a guitar is only going to be in a museum, it doesnt matter what pickups are in it because no one is going to hear it anymore)

i am sure that dimarzio makes fine pickups ... i have only very very little first hand experience with them, and all of it a LONG time ago ... i much prefer Duncans becuae they suit my sonic needs and have world-class customer service

good luck
            t4d

T4d,

No problem, I see what you are saying about behind glass. I just can’t bring myself to make a low-end guitar even if it is just a showpiece. Dad always said if you are going to do something do it right the first time and never look back.

Way to go on the Italian.

Brian
            Brian

Comment

Hey Brian; I was just going to work on this some more, when I realized that I'm not sure what you finally decided. Here's what it looks like to me so far:

You're going to use 3 on/off toggles, and 3 DPDT's that will either be on/off/on or on/on/on. Here's the breakdown of what we can do with this:

1. Using on/off/on:

Each pickup can split to either coil.
              Each pickup will be individually controlled on and off.

2. Using on/on/on:

Each pickup can be either series, split, or parallel.
              Each pickup will be individually controlled on and off.

Let me know if one of those is what you wanted, and I'll get right on it.
              Won't take long to draw up either.

Artie

Comment

Artie,

I think number two.

Six toggles all together. Three of the toggles will be three way switches mid position will be humbucker top position will be the bridge side of the humbucker and bottom position will be neck side of humbucker. The other three toggles will control on/off of each pup individually. There will be a set of two toggles per pup.

I do not know which three way toggle to get?

If you give me your first and last name I will give you credit for the wiring diagram in the neck pocket and the info sheet.

Thanks Brian
                Brian

Comment

Ok, this should do it. All the switches only need to be SPDT, but two different styles. Coil split switches should be on-off-on, and the pickup selector switches should be on-on, (which you wire as on-off).

Like these:
                  GuitarElectronics.com switches

You want the SWM-11 and SWM-12.

If there's anything you don't understand here, just ask. I tried to make it pretty easy to follow.

The circuit:

The key:

Let me know.

Artie

Comment

Just a bit more clarity:

Edit: And, of course, depending on which way you want the handle to be oriented when something is "on" or "off", just rotate the switch around in its mount to make it how you want.
                    Last edited by ArtieToo; 04-09-2005, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Artie,

I got it. I could see some of it but not all of it. I thank you my guitar thanks you and my pickups thank you.

Brian

I do take it that the ground Is in the bottom right hand corner of the full diagram and I attach that to the back of the volume control?
                      Last edited by briand; 04-09-2005, 01:01 PM.
                      Brian

Comment

Working...
                      X