banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attn. Strat Guys: Twangbanger, Surfers, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attn. Strat Guys: Twangbanger, Surfers, etc.

Hey, I was hoping to get some advice from the Strat Guys (you know who you are!). At User Group Day, I'm thinking about winding a bridge pickup for a Strat I want to build. It'll be maple neck, swamp ash or alder body, vintage specs (with 9.5" radius), 6 hole vibrato, nitro finish, etc. I want classic Strat sounds, with the bridge beefed up a bit for good warm rock & roll tone and sustain without too much thinness, brittleness, or ice-pickiness (is that a word?). Based on the raves, I am thinking of going with Surfers for the neck and middle, but I have read in various threads that the Surfer bridge is maybe a little bright. I had an idea for a bridge pickup to wind to complement the Surfers , and I wanted some opinions as to whether it might be a good combination and give me the sound I'm looking for.

Basically, it'd be a '52 SurfBanger (maybe I should copyright the name [just kidding!]). That is, an Antiquity 2 Surfer bridge, but with staggered 5/2 magnets (Alnico V for the bass strings, Alnico II for the treble) with the Twangbanger plate on the bottom. I guess I'm shooting for the best of all three models, the Surfer, Twangbanger, and 5/2. Any thoughts? Thank you very much, can't wait to meet everybody who's gonna be there!

Re: Attn. Strat Guys: Twangbanger, Surfers, etc.

lol its a cool name, for one

if i was going () i'd probably want to try and get a P90 sound in a singlecoil... i love the raw snarl they have..

and, thinking about it, i'd wanna call it the soapbanger

tom

Comment

I'm one of those guys that found the Surfer bridge too toppy,but many guys dig the Surfer in the bridge....I'm a big fan of the Twangbanger or the Fralin SP43 Lew sold me in the bridge...If you like the P90 tones,this Fralin is the one to get!

The Texas Hot bridge pickup is a bit warmer than the Surfer and I like this pickup in my red american deluxe strat you see pictured in my avatar..This guitar has the Texas Hots in all 3 positions...Depends alot on the guitar and many other things though.
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Let me know if you do it. I've been thinking about having the Custom Shop do something similar to that for a Strat I'm putting together.
        Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

Anybody else know what they're gonna wind for UGD? (shameless bump)

Comment

Working...
          X