X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Or Distortion?

Going into the bridge position neck-through poplar body, ebony fingerboard,
    Floyd Rose...

I had a JB in there for a long time, want more aggression...
    Have a C5 in now...not really what i'm looking for.

I want chunky aggression, and wicked lead tones....has to be articulate for fast leads and arps...plus great harmonics....but not shrill or lacking good chunky bass.

Theyre sitting next to each other at the store...one of them needs to come home with me....
    '86 Jackson USA SL-1
    Ibanez RG hardtail
    Vox AD60VTX

Re: Custom Or Distortion?

Get the Custom. IMO, it sounds better, and it's the natural progression to a heavier sound than the C-5 or JB.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

thanks Gearjoneser.
      '86 Jackson USA SL-1
      Ibanez RG hardtail
      Vox AD60VTX

Comment

I prefer the Distortion. And if you hang out here long enough you'll hear me say that time and time again. First off, I have a Distortion in the bridge of my Charvel 650xl which is a maple neck thru, poplar body, rosewood fretboard, Floyd equipped axe. The Distortion is a thing of beauty in that guitar. It was my first Distortion well over 10 years ago and the one that encouraged me to put 7 more in various guitars I have owned. What you described you're looking for nails the Distortion's tone to a T. I've always considered the Custom as a "Distortion Lite." If you want the real thing, go for the Distortion. You won't be disappointed.
        Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Travis
          I prefer the Distortion. And if you hang out here long enough you'll hear me say that time and time again.
          . . . and you'll hear me say that the Distortion is one of the worst named pups.

I have one in the neck, (hoping to score one for the bridge), and it's one of the cleanest, sharpest pups I have. I almost considered making this a one-pup guitar dedicated to it.
          (But a matching Distortion bridge would be nice too.)

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
            (But a matching Distortion bridge would be nice too.)

Believe me, it is.
            Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Well, they'll both do what you described. Here's what I think.

Theses two pickups are better to compare by style if you ask me. They both have plenty of output and meat, bottom, while still retaining clarity.

When I think of the distortion, I more quickly associate it with metal, thrash, shred.

When I think of the Custom, I think of hot-rodded blues, hard rock, classic rock. It has a similar voice to the typical PAF, but hotter.

That's my take. Custom can do thrash, and Distortion can do hard rock, but the above are what I beleive they are best for.
              Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
              Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
              Originally posted by Sosomething
              "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                (But a matching Distortion bridge would be nice too.) ;
                hey artie i have a mint distortion bridge pup that i bought from xcessive i have it in my les paul , but before that i always wanted to try a jb (never tried or heard one ) im sure you have a couple laying around let me know andmaybe we can trade i want it black and sufficient lead for the bridge good cond , my distortion is mint i have the box and everything
                Schecter C1 silver top, cream body binding , black hardware, loaded with EMG 81/81
                Epi Les paul honeyburst, loaded with Seymour Duncan DD (b) 59 (n)
                Ibanez Iceman ic300 , Stock pickups
                Yamaha Pacifica , stock
                epiphone acoustic
                marshall combo
                cry baby wah
                monster cables

Comment

The Distortion is a pretty shrill and trebly isn't it? I was thinking about replacing my EMG 85 with one of these, but I don't want ear shattering treble.

Comment

Thanks guys, the distortion it is....it's even the right color...I was meant to have that pickup...and possibly a couple other things I saw in the store...G.A.S..!!!
                    '86 Jackson USA SL-1
                    Ibanez RG hardtail
                    Vox AD60VTX

Comment

Working...
                    X