Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rails Tele - feedback issue

Hi,

I just wired a hot rails tele (bridge) into a reissue 72' Custom tele. I understand that this pickup produces a high output signal, but I'm getting an extreme amount of feedback (piercing-high pitched). I was wondering if this is normal? (I have tried lowering the pick up). About a year ago I wired a lil' screamin demon into a strat copy and I don't have any issues with unwanted feedback (at the same amp settings). Is there some issue with the wiring that I am missing? Or is it just the properties of a tele combined with a high output pickup.

Thanks for any comments.

-p

Re: Hot Rails Tele - feedback issue

pretty sure its the wiring. did u install it urself?

Comment

Yes I did. The red and white wires were soldered together and taped - the green and sheild were grounded and the black was soldered to the hot position (of the old PU). I only experience the problem with high gain levels - it doesn't happen with low/no distortion.

-p

Comment

Originally posted by pvallo1
        Yes I did. The red and white wires were soldered together and taped - the green and sheild were grounded and the black was soldered to the hot position (of the old PU). I only experience the problem with high gain levels - it doesn't happen with low/no distortion.

-p
        Does the pickup hum when the gain is up? Does your amp do this with your other guitars?
        2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
        1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

No it doesn't hum. It is quiet until that "gain/volume threshold" has been reached. Then the feedback comes in. I can roll back the volume to 8-9 and that helps, but of course that effects the volume/tone that I'm getting out of the setup. Note: even if I physically move away from the amp (over to the side or the back). I still encounter the problem, but to a lesser extent.

I have tried various other guitars in the same amp (Mesa Boogie DC-2, 20 watt) and didn't have the same issue. I am not playing at ear splitting volumes (gain at ~7, volume ~3 to 4, and the master 1.5 to 2.

-p

Comment

bump.

i am haveing the same problem.
            but am not sure what to do.

Comment

sheesh, i have the Hot Rails in my tele & i'm using this guitar for Black Metal- absolutely high gain. however, the thing is, i can't quite relate to what's going on here- the feedback just happens even if the guitar stay idle- is that it?
              Psychic Horns

Comment

ive had similar problems when i play my tele hotrails through my friends crate half stack. But this could also be because it is 120w tube and it is in a small room, forcing me to be close to the amp. my amp at home is a 15w solid state amp, and i keep the volume low(parents *****ing) so there isnt enought volume to get feedback. I have never tried the guitar with a larger amp where i have enough room to stand far away.
                "Your momma's whack, your granny's wack, I keep a handy wipe in my fanny pack" -Ill mitch

Comment

Many years ago I played with this guy who owned an original 72 tele custom. Same problem, original pickups. May just be the axe with the higher gain pickup. If I remember correctly(too many years ago) he needed to back off on the volume as well.

Comment

Turn down the gain, stop facing your speakers, or start riding your volume knob...

-X
                    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

If it's an unmusical high pitched feedback, then the pickup may need better potting. I had an SM-3 like that -- a huge squeal-injection factor -- and SD took care of it with a replacement that works fine.

Comment

so in a normal situation the hot rails won't feedback without being coaxed?

Comment

The metal bridge causes this problem ,take the bridge out with the pickup in place and try melting wax where the pickup screws meet the bridge metal plate both under where it meets and top side.........

Comment

Originally posted by SINGTONE
                            The metal bridge causes this problem ,take the bridge out with the pickup in place and try melting wax where the pickup screws meet the bridge metal plate both under where it meets and top side.........

really?!?!
                            seems odd enough to work
                            any kind of wax?

Comment

try replacing the voume pot - i had this prob once and that fixed it.

Comment

Working...
                              X