500T with 12 adjustable screws Rocks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500T with 12 adjustable screws Rocks!

Okay so earlier today I took out the slug poles from my spare Gibson 500T bridge pup and replaced them with 6 adjustable screws + the original 6= 12.

I put this pup in the bridge of my strat and was blown away by how badass it sounds.
    The screws made a big diffrence IMO. They added some warmth which took away the "icepickedness" and added a LOT of crunch.

this is now a killer pup!

Re: 500T with 12 adjustable screws Rocks!

Radius the poles and you'll get a nice 3d quality to the sound also. Radiused double screws are the only way to go!

Comment

what do you mean by radius?

Comment

-Fret each string @ its highest fret.
        -Raise each screw until there is 1/16" between the top of the screw and bottom of the string.

Now the middle four strings are the same distance from the strings as the two E's. And since there are 2 rows of screws, boths coils are "hearing" the strings properly. What are difference in 3D wallop! You'll never go back to a standard bucker!

Let me know how you make out.

Comment

Wixom, yeah I have the 12 adjustable hex poles in my 500T in the bridge of my SG and I like it, but I might try putting the slotted screws back in the coil closest to the bridge for a little more bass response.

Did you use hex poles or all slotted screws? I didn't want to dremel the holes where the slugs came from just to be able to use slotted screws in that coil in case I ever wanted the pickup back to stock, so how did you get 12 matching poles in a 500T?

I had to use 6 hex poles from a Humbucker from Hell, and 6 hex poles from an older Super Distortion and had to paint them black.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1
            Wixom, yeah I have the 12 adjustable hex poles in my 500T in the bridge of my SG and I like it, but I might try putting the slotted screws back in the coil closest to the bridge for a little more bass response.

Did you use hex poles or all slotted screws? I didn't want to dremel the holes where the slugs came from just to be able to use slotted screws in that coil in case I ever wanted the pickup back to stock, so how did you get 12 matching poles in a 500T?

I had to use 6 hex poles from a Humbucker from Hell, and 6 hex poles from an older Super Distortion and had to paint them black.

the poles I used are from a Gibson 496R neck pup. So they are exactly the same as the 6 that were already in the 500T.

The screwed in side ways kinda and were kind of tight to put in but after they are in you cant really even see that they are a little crocked.

Its weird but the D and G poles went in perfectly normal.

Comment

It's not possible to take a picture is it? I'd like to see because Im almost 100% sure the screw heads won't fit in a slug hole. I'm not saying I don't think it can be done, but how ghetto will it look to get there is the question I am asking.

Originally posted by wixomwhat
              the poles I used are from a Gibson 496R neck pup. So they are exactly the same as the 6 that were already in the 500T.

The screwed in side ways kinda and were kind of tight to put in but after they are in you cant really even see that they are a little crocked.

Its weird but the D and G poles went in perfectly normal.

Comment

Not to sound like a total idiot, but how do you remove the slug poles?
                Quality riffs in about a minute...
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Originally posted by superpete
                  Not to sound like a total idiot, but how do you remove the slug poles?

i opened the pup up and took a screw driver and pounded the poles(lightly) out with a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1
                    It's not possible to take a picture is it? I'd like to see because Im almost 100% sure the screw heads won't fit in a slug hole. I'm not saying I don't think it can be done, but how ghetto will it look to get there is the question I am asking.

Why would the screw heads not fit?

Comment

Screw heads wont fit down in the slug size hole because the hole diameter is smaller than a 5/40 threaded slotted screw or hex head screw, which I am assuming you used on all 12 poles. Also how did you get the screws to actually thread in on the slug side without taking the pickup apart and installing another "keeper bar" which is the threaded block the screws thread into?

Comment

the Gibson 500T's base plate has 12 holes on the bottom for poles to screw threw and 4 smaller holes for the 4 screws that attach the bobbins to the base plate.

Comment

Notice the top screw I tried to put in the slug hole. It doesn't fit mainly because if you will notice normally the screw coil has a routed out section in the bobbin itself to accomodate the screw head, the slug side does not.

And the 12 holes on the bottom of the baseplate don't have threads, it's the keeper bar thats centered on the baseplate that the screws actually thread into.
                          Last edited by Fusion1; 04-16-2005, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Here you can see what I mean by the screw coil hole having a space for a screw head and the diameter of the hole is slightly bigger than the slug hole by approx .001"

If you have a slug and a screw to size next to each other you will see the difference.

Comment

here you go.

so stop telling me i'm wrong. I HAVE NO REASON TO BE LYING!

Comment

Working...
                              X