Distortion or Full Shred in the neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distortion or Full Shred in the neck?

Thin neck pickup will be going into an RG, basswood body for metal and hard rock styles. What differences can I expect from these two?

Re: Distortion or Full Shred in the neck?

Well, I've got both pickups in the neck position of identical guitars. Unfortunately, they are not basswood. They are mahogany bodied, maple topped, with a set maple neck. But, I can at least comment on the tonal differences of the two.

Both remain clear under high gain and are great for shredding. The Full Shred is brighter and punchier in the neck. The Distortion is warmer and smoother with more midrange. The Distortion seems to have more harmonics and a little more sustain. The Full Shred doesn't break up when played clean as much as the Distortion. But even then, the Distortion is better clean than one might think. Both work great when split and are somewhere in the neighborhood of a Hot Strat pickup.

Overall, I think the Distortion is my preferred of the two. But the Full Shred is nice for a change.
    Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

HEJ travis, would you mind sending 2 clips of both pickups with FULL distortion in the neck, to my email?
      do some lead work. tapping, 2 hands, scales. etc.
      [email protected]

i´m in doubt about which pickup to put in my IBANEZ too.
      J.P
      Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
      Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
      Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
      Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
      Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
      Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
      Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
      Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

i own both too.

the distortion neck has more midrange.
        the FS IMO has more single note definition under lots of gain.
        Psychic Horns

Comment

Working...
        X