Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about the EMG 85???

Hey guys,
    I finally got to spend some quality time with a guitar loaded with EMG 81's. In the past i had only had a minute or so. As far as the rythmn sound goes i was really impressed, aggressive and fat, but well defined and balanced. Then i went to play lead, it had a blistering, clear, lead sound with lots of sustain and i saw why so many shredders love them. But despite its great lead qualities i found it to be a kinda sterile sounding and a bit one dimensional. I felt kind of torn on them, it was quite refreshing to have all that output, clarity, and presence, but still. Then i remembered the EMG 85, which doesnt really seem to get the press the 81 does, i hear it more natural sounding and warmer, which is fine with me, but the real question is does it have more "life" than the 81? Or is this "problem" in all active humbucking pickups?
    EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Bogner Goldfinger 45 1x12 Combo

Re: What about the EMG 85???

I find the 85 to be a little more natural. The 81 really has no bottom end, which is what I think gives it that "clinical" feel. The 85 has a little more low end grunt, which I feel makes it sound more like most other pickups.

The thing is though, EMG designed their pickups to have a ultra-clear, hi-fi sound, so if that's not your thing.....
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
      I find the 85 to be a little more natural. The 81 really has no bottom end, which is what I think gives it that "clinical" feel. The 85 has a little more low end grunt, which I feel makes it sound more like most other pickups.

The thing is though, EMG designed their pickups to have a ultra-clear, hi-fi sound, so if that's not your thing.....
      I have a set of EMG 85's and they are very balanced and natural sounding with plenty of output to drive any amp. They are much more articulate and accurate than the 81's.

Comment

Originally posted by Faraday
        They are much more articulate and accurate than the 81's.
        Does the 81 make a bunch of sloppy, wrong notes come out? j/k
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

OH man the 85 is a great pup. Its more versitile than the 81 definately. It has some good low mids that make it sound a little darker but theres still plenty of clarity to be had. Its not just for metal. You can get some good pushed blues tones out of the 85.
          Speak through your fingers

Comment

Originally posted by vinterland
            Its not just for metal.
            Maybe not more traditional metal, but it'll do modern metal. Some of the NWOAHM, or Metalcore, or whatever the genre's called today are using bridge mounted 85s for their sound (I think it's Lamb of God and Shadows Fall, but I could be wrong).

Comment

Maybe not more traditional metal, but it'll do modern metal. Some of the NWOAHM, or Metalcore, or whatever the genre's called today are using bridge mounted 85s for their sound (I think it's Lamb of God and Shadows Fall, but I could be wrong).
              That would be Killswitch Engage and the lead guitarist from Shadows Fall (LOG use Duncans).
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                Does the 81 make a bunch of sloppy, wrong notes come out? j/k
                Yea, I play Jazz fusion with 85's in the bridge and it corrects the sloppy wrong notes that I would have played if using an 81.

Comment

I have an EMG 85 in my Yamaha Pacifica. It's a very clear pickup. Pretty hot. Very quiet. It's fairly balanced, but with the highs rolled off pretty good. It's ugly and sorta sterile compared to passives. I'm eventually gonna change it.

Comment

Originally posted by Faraday
                    Yea, I play Jazz fusion with 85's in the bridge and it corrects the sloppy wrong notes that I would have played if using an 81.
                    Sign me up for a couple more 85s then!

Comment

That would be Killswitch Engage and the lead guitarist from Shadows Fall (LOG use Duncans).
                      ^^^^^^^
                      all that's correct. Both guys from killswitch use 85's in the bridge. The other guitarist from SF uses an 81 in the bridge.
                      Constantly wanting new gear...

Comment

Adam Dutkiewicz of Killswitch Engage and Matthew Bachand of Shadows Fall use an 85 in the bridge and their partners use the 81. Lamb of God uses Duncans, the Invader (Morton) and the Custom (Adler) respectively.

Comment

Originally posted by Destructone
                          Adam Dutkiewicz of Killswitch Engage and Matthew Bachand of Shadows Fall use an 85 in the bridge and their partners use the 81. Lamb of God uses Duncans, the Invader (Morton) and the Custom (Adler) respectively.
                          Jon Donais (SF) uses an 85b/81n combo. Matt Bachand uses an 81b/60n.

Comment

Jon Donais (SF) uses an 85b/81n combo. Matt Bachand uses an 81b/60n.
                            yep, ur right!

close enough...
                            Last edited by Destructone; 04-13-2005, 09:13 PM.

Comment

FWIW, Matt also uses an Ibanez Tube Screamer (turbo model, set on normal, volume dimed, gain all the way down) as a boost.

Comment

Working...
                              X