MIM Standard Telecaster Pup changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIM Standard Telecaster Pup changes

Please forgive a noobie if this has been covered ad nauseum, but I'm getting a MIM Standard Telecaster, and am considering changing the bridge pickup to a SD Little 59. Two questions: (1) will this require much (or any) "re-routing" or cutting of the guitar itself; and (2) assuming that I add the Little '59, it is worth swapping the stock neck pickup for another? I suppose what I'm looking for is to get a little of the Jimmy Page/blues style Telecaster sound, without totally losing the twang. Thanks for any advice from the experts.

Re: MIM Standard Telecaster Pup changes

Ral, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!! There's no such thing as a dumb question, sometimes we refer folks to the search function but only because we're lazy, and unlike other forums there isn't a "noob" stigma, unless you make broad sweeping generalizations about particular pups.

Anyway, I think you'll be very happy with the lil 59 you can get some cruchy LP-esque tone in full bucking mode, and some tele twang in the split mode. I'd recommend getting a push pull pot for splitting, then you won't have to drill a hole anywhere. You will not need to route you guitar b/c the lil 59 is made to fit in the factory sized hole.

As far as the neck pup goes, that's up to you. If you like it keep it, if you don't kick it to the curb. You might want to look into the vintage neck, or maybe the Alnico 2 pro for a smoother sound.

MIM Fenders play well and sound good with upgrades, I'd really recommend getting two new pots, maybe a new switch as well, I also prefer orange drop caps but that is a personal preference. Another huge upgrade a MIM Fender is hardware. The stock bridge and tuners are fairly cheap, and with components you have an all around better guitar.

Again Welcome!

Luke
    “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Working...
    X