Please help me choose pickups!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me choose pickups!

Ok, ever since i got my fender fat strat, i have been fretting (no pun intended) over what pickups i should get. In the future i want to config a H/S/H on my guitar. I have been reading and researching ever since and figured that a dimarzio PAF Pro in the neck and Dimazario DP100 Super Distortion in the neck ( havent decided on a Single coil in the middle). Now, a buddy of mine has been telling me that a Duncan custom can help me get the classic rock/hard rock sound i want. Now i am having a hard time choosing wheter to get the custom or keep the PAF. I know for sure im keeping the super distortion. Yet,if i were to get a custom, and having the super distortion in the bridge then im stumped. PLEASE HELP ME! I need help choosing a single coil in the middle and whether the custom,jb,super distortion or paf. Then again i heard the custom was like the paf on steroids.. but please help.

Re: Please help me choose pickups!

ok im sorry for the double post but.. i have decided. im going for a s/s/h config with vintage rails in the neck, cool or hot rails in mid,custom tb-5 in the bridge... can someone show me a place to buy these pickups? I heard some bad stories about Musicians Friends shipping..

Comment

welcome to the boards

try a hot rails in the middle ... it'll keep up with all that extra muscle .. alternately, a lil 59 would stay in the 'paf'ish family if that is where you are aiming ...

i am not gonna try to talk you outta the dimarzios, but for what you want (classic / hard rock), i bet a 59 in the neck, a lil 59 in the middle and a JB in the bridge would be killer

nice thing about duncans is that if you buy them and try them and dont like them, you can trade them in within 21 days for something more suitable to your tastes (for example, if the 59 is too dark to your tastes, you could try an AIIP or a PG in the neck .. or if the JB is not quite right, you could go to the custom / custom custom / custom 5 or the distortion .. keep tryin til you find the ones that leave you stoked

it might be some effort (well, it's play really, right? ) - but there is no excuse for bad tone anymore

good luck
      t4d
      gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

lol - you changed your mind while i was typing !!

try blackrose customs or lews guitars - both are great guys with great prices

good luck
        t4d
        gear list in profile

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

ehehe. thanks. Have you shopped at black rose before? because they seem to have the pickups i want. Im still having a hard time to choose hot or cool rails.. what do you recommend?

Comment

i have bought from blackrose and they are OUTSTANDING ... HIGHLY Recommend

i suppose that either the Hot or Cool Rails would work with the other pickups you are considering ... are you sure that you want the vintage rails for the neck? ... dont get me wrong, it is a great pickup, but if you are playing classic rock and hard rock, i think a lil 59 might be a good choice for the neck (single coil size) ... but like i said, you can always try one and see if it works best for you ...

good luck
            t4d
            Last edited by tone4days; 04-15-2005, 07:38 AM.
            gear list in profile

Comment

i know i want the vintage because i also want to play things by hendrix. I now know what pickups i want,but now choosing the right pickguard is the problem. The color is not important but the right dimensions,sizes and etc are really important. No idea where to order from or how to tell which pickguard is like mine that i should order

Comment

Working...
              X