Michael Schenker pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Schenker pickups?

I'm asking on behalf of a buddy of mine at work.. I know nothing about Michael Schenker

Anybody know what pickups he uses?
    -Alex

*Proud Owner and Player of Guage guitars, Warmoth guitars, and Orange amps*

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
    I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Re: Michael Schenker pickups?

I want to say his bridge pup is usually a Custom. Don't know if I read that here or somewhere else. I also seem to recall that the neck was a 59'. Hopefully someone else will either verify that or set the record straight. I do remember that he uses (or used for a long time) a Marshall 2205.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

He's used a bunch of stuff over the years...Gibsons mostly, some schallers, I've heard custom's as well.

If you want a classic Shenker type tone, but don't use a wah as a filter like he did for so many years, a Custom in a gibson style instrument is a good choice.

But if you are going for classic UFO era tones...PAF style pup through a cranked 50 watt Marshall NMV, a wah (Vox reissues sound closest for stock pedals) for the filtering and a slight analog delay/slapback. I could nail his tone with my 1987X, Heritage 150 with Duncan 59s and my Vox reissue. He used stock and rivera modded marshalls in the early days of MSG.

On that Unforgiven live album from the late 90's he's def using a PAF style pup, through what sounds like to me DSL/TSL Marshall and def no wah. Sounds like crap, honestly. Def not the Schenker of old.
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Older MS = gibson T-tops(UFO)
        newer MS= duncan custom/59n
        1957 RI gibson historic black beauty lester(DD/JAZZ)
        2003 gibson zakk wylde custom shop lester (stock EMG)
        1996 gibson lester custom(DD/59 neck)
        1997 fender lone star (DD TB-6/duckbucker/lil 59)
        Marshall ZW 2203 100 watt top
        5150 block letter head
        4 1960B marshall cabs

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB
          He's used a bunch of stuff over the years...Gibsons mostly, some schallers, I've heard custom's as well.

If you want a classic Shenker type tone, but don't use a wah as a filter like he did for so many years, a Custom in a gibson style instrument is a good choice.

But if you are going for classic UFO era tones...PAF style pup through a cranked 50 watt Marshall NMV, a wah (Vox reissues sound closest for stock pedals) for the filtering and a slight analog delay/slapback. I could nail his tone with my 1987X, Heritage 150 with Duncan 59s and my Vox reissue. He used stock and rivera modded marshalls in the early days of MSG.

On that Unforgiven live album from the late 90's he's def using a PAF style pup, through what sounds like to me DSL/TSL Marshall and def no wah. Sounds like crap, honestly. Def not the Schenker of old.
          I loooove his tone on the 'Strangers' live cd. Just listened to that today on my way home. The 'Lights Out' solo blows me away.
          Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

From what I have read, Micheal used old Gibson PAF Pups.

Comment

Originally posted by WICKED LESTER
              Older MS = gibson T-tops(UFO)
              newer MS= duncan custom/59n
              I´m pretty sure this is accurate, but I´ve been known to be wrong
              Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Awesome, thanks guys. We were thinking it was one of the Custom series.. so that should get us pretty close.
                -Alex

*Proud Owner and Player of Guage guitars, Warmoth guitars, and Orange amps*

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
                I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Comment

I'd go along with what has been said already - stock Gibson 'buckers on the old stuff, more recently Seymour Duncan Custom/'59.

There's some interesting stuff about Michael's gear here:

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F
                    I'd go along with what has been said already - stock Gibson 'buckers on the old stuff, more recently Seymour Duncan Custom/'59.

There's some interesting stuff about Michael's gear here:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~vr9m-ark/michael/misc.htm
                    MS played a 1967 gibby V that had the stock pups still in it which were T-top's
                    here is one on the bay,
                    1957 RI gibson historic black beauty lester(DD/JAZZ)
                    2003 gibson zakk wylde custom shop lester (stock EMG)
                    1996 gibson lester custom(DD/59 neck)
                    1997 fender lone star (DD TB-6/duckbucker/lil 59)
                    Marshall ZW 2203 100 watt top
                    5150 block letter head
                    4 1960B marshall cabs

Comment

Working...
                    X