Interesting emg 81 vs. JB vs. Lawrence L500XL showdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting emg 81 vs. JB vs. Lawrence L500XL showdown

This is a cool thread and a lot of people ask about these pickups. So here's a little comparison/contrast of the 3 courtesy of cobrahead on the harmonycentral amp forum.

Re: Interesting emg 81 vs. JB vs. Lawrence L500XL showdown

thats a weird coincidence, cause im trying to decide between those same 3 pickups for what to replace my invader with
    Originally posted by Aceman
    It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

just listened to em, and i really hate the tone he uses for all of them on the pantera clips....its awful IMO. the lead tones are alright. and the crunch tone was like cardboard. this guy needs a new amp or something...euch. overall i thought the EMG ones sounded best, but its hard to tell cause i think any pickup would sound bad with those kinda recordings.
      Originally posted by Aceman
      It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

I like the EMG crunch clips and the Bill Lawrence lead clips, but I have to agree with ex-250 that the tone wasn't that sh*t hot.....little too gainy for me (and a little less presence would've been nice), but then again I usually run my guitar volume backed off slightly when playing rhythm.

I'm kinda suprised so many people were confused by the clean example in the crunch clip.....an 81 in the bridge has a horibly thin sound to it when compared to a JB.
        Last edited by some_dude; 04-15-2005, 09:04 PM.
        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Those clips aren't bad... but like ScreamingDaisy, too much presence.
          • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
          • G&L Tribute Comanche
          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Working...
          X