new pickups for my sg...suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new pickups for my sg...suggestions?

i've decided to replace the stock pickups in my gibson sg standard. i'm looking for a vintage 'crunch' sound ala angus young and tony iommi. i'm thinking about wagner darkbursts. do you guys think those would be a good choice?

Re: new pickups for my sg...suggestions?

keep it simple, get a set of Duncan 59's and call it a day
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Welcome to the forum

There's always the Bareknuckle Warpig.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

hi and welcome...

bareknuckles, or SD 59s or alnico 2s. or maybe JBs. possibly. I dunno, any of those would do u well i reckon.
        Colossians 1:15

Originally posted by Gr8Scott
        I absolutely have no doubt that Aceman has a glitter covered pony head on a stick that he occasionally saddles and rides around his office in full aceman regalia screaming like a cowboy on a meth binge just because the mood strikes him.

Comment

I've heard that the Gibson Toni Iommi pickups are excellent for that type of sound you're after. They're pretty expensive though.

Comment

I would stay away from alnico II magnets in an SG...they tend to be thin sounding in an SG. The Gibson Iommi pickups are great, and in fact are the only non Duncan pickups that I own...the down side is the cost, but they are very good pickups!
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Get an old tube amp (I.E. Marshall 'Plexi' or something of that nature), crank it to '11,' and throw a Dimebucker in your SG--it'll totally smoke.
              This space is for rent.

Comment

I have a Rio Grande BBQ in a SG and it sounds wonderful
                Quality riffs in about a minute...
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Originally posted by Boleslaw Gers 666
                  I'm going to have to go with Christian here. JB is also too thin at the top region. Go with '59's probably or maybe a Custom/'59 combo. THAT would be sweet.

The custom sounds quite a bit like a 59 but with more punch, output and balls...a 59n and a Custom in the bridge would be a kille set in an SG for rock!

Comment

My main stage SG has an Invader in the bridge and a Dirty Fingers in the neck. Sustain for days, and lots of crunch.
                    www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

screamin demon(b)/ Pearly Gates(n)?

Comment

I wanted vintage crunch from my SG as well, but that comes in a ton of different flavors. I was after a slightly more rockin AC/DC sound, Hot For Teacher VH sounds, and recent ZZ Top sounds. A '59 in the bridge got me exactly what I was after. Do not overlook the lower output pickups. Higher output pickups kill that vintage vibe for me.
                        teles? voxes? what is happening to me?!

Comment

Originally posted by Boleslaw Gers 666
                          JB is also too thin at the top region.
                          is not!!

i played an ash tele with a JB/59 combo and it sounded exactly as acdc through a peavey classic 30 cranked (gain full volume at 5 .. wasnt allowed to go more cos of the stupid store owners..)

i'd chose 59's for the vintage vibe though

Comment

i played an ash tele with a JB/59 combo and it sounded exactly as acdc through a peavey classic 30 cranked (gain full volume at 5 .. wasnt allowed to go more cos of the stupid store owners..)

theoretically, that shouldn't really sound like AC/DC at all, but if you say so...
                            teles? voxes? what is happening to me?!

Comment

Working...
                            X