No announcement yet.

Any simple way to split a vintage rail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any simple way to split a vintage rail?

I think the answer is no..but just to be sure-

In another thread I discussed good pup sets for HSS that included double blades becuase I roll off the 2nd coil- Had decided on vintage rail but then noticed it's not 4 conductor-

Any hope?

If not, who makes the best dual rail single hum that can be split? Don't tell me Joe Barden becuase that's what I'm trying to emulate!

Thanks in advance
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Re: Any simple way to split a vintage rail?

Nah it's internally wired parrallel...

And for the other question: I have no idea

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

Thanks KB- Will have to keep looking!

Comment

you could try the custom shop ... have em make you a 4-wire VR
        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Would a 4-wire VR even work? If you split it, won't half the coil be missing the pole piece?

Comment

Artietoo-
            Not sure I'm following, but I'm certainly no pup expert- When my barden dual blades split, 1 side grounds out and the other blade remains active-

Tone4day- Apprciate your input on this and the other thread but I went ahead tnd threw the dice this afternoon- Not much of a dimarzio fan in the past, but went with the Cruiser in place of vintage rail, and of course kept cool rail and jb-

Heading out of town for the weekend, so it will be late nights with a soldering iron next week

Also I'll let all know how crusier works- But I still wish the Joe Barden fairey would leave a set under my pillow tonight

Thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by zionstrat
              Artietoo-
              Not sure I'm following, but I'm certainly no pup expert- When my barden dual blades split, 1 side grounds out and the other blade remains active-

Thanks all!
              That would be true with a Cool Rails or a Hot Rails, where the pole piece goes all the way across the pickup, but on a Vintage Rails, like a Duckbucker, the "rail" only goes halfway across. The "other half" is on the other coil . . . ergo, if you split it, you'ld only have half a pole piece. This is something I just discovered myself a week or so ago. The other "half" of a VR's rail is plastic. Just used as a spacer. Like this:

Then again, it could be an interesting affect, if you used an on-off-on DPDT switch to split to either coil. You'ld have the pole piece under the low 3 strings one way, and the high 3 strings the other. Might be interesting.
              Last edited by ArtieToo; 04-20-2005, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks Artietoo! I definately would have missed the idea that it's really not 2 rails if you hadn't pointed it out! Definately not what I was looking for and will give everyone an update when I see how the cool rails and crusier work out-
                m

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                  That would be true with a Cool Rails or a Hot Rails, where the pole piece goes all the way across the pickup, but on a Vintage Rails, like a Duckbucker, the "rail" only goes halfway across. The "other half" is on the other coil . . . ergo, if you split it, you'ld only have half a pole piece. This is something I just discovered myself a week or so ago. The other "half" of a VR's rail is plastic. Just used as a spacer. Like this:

Then again, it could be an interesting affect, if you used an on-off-on DPDT switch to split to either coil. You'ld have the pole piece under the low 3 strings one way, and the high 3 strings the other. Might be interesting.
                  Yes, i think it might be an interesting "effect", when you use 2 Pickups parallel and one pickup picks only three strings. You play a chord and you only have the quack on the low or the high strings.

Or another option (with one vintagerails/duckbucker): you play a chord, and with the switch, you can switch between the low and the high strings.
                  Something like a wah wah or so.
                  Last edited by Inge Malmstein; 04-22-2005, 03:57 PM.
                  Pickups... the final frontier.
                  These are the voyages of the Seymour-Duncan Forum-Users.
                  Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

The new Vintage Rails will be four conductor. However, that's to allow series / parallel switching, not splitting.
                    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp
                      The new Vintage Rails will be four conductor. However, that's to allow series / parallel switching, not splitting.
                      Wait'll you see my new wiring scheme. If it works, it'll be the coolest thing since spin-a-split.

Comment

Working...
                      X