Cutting magnets in half?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting magnets in half?

Has anyone tried cutting magnets in half lengthways and putting halves of different magents into the one pickup? I read a review of the screamin demon at harmony central today when the reviewer says he put half ceramic half alnic 5 into the demon and says its his fave pickups.

Is this actually possible? If so the possibilities are taken even further. The Custom series comes to mind when i think of this modification.

Re: Cutting magnets in half?

Wouldn't cutting the mag affect it (as far as demagnitizing and all that)?
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
      Wouldn't cutting the mag affect it (as far as demagnitizing and all that)?
      It definitely would if the cutting tool applied enough friction to heat the magnet.

Comment

Originally posted by mrid
        It definitely would if the cutting tool applied enough friction to heat the magnet.

So if you cut while keeping the magnet wet....

Comment

It would be easier to do this: Use 2 single coils. 1-li'l 59 (A5) and 1-APS (A2)
          Place them closely spaced next to one another. Wire them Humbucked. Unless you have the time to experiment with breaking magnets. Pretty soon we'll all be smelting our own AlNiCo composites!

Comment

Originally posted by Faraday
            It would be easier to do this: Use 2 single coils. 1-li'l 59 (A5) and 1-APS (A2)
            Place them closely spaced next to one another. Wire them Humbucked. Unless you have the time to experiment with breaking magnets. Pretty soon we'll all be smelting our own AlNiCo composites!

You won't get the same response though. A humbucker's sound is based around the fact that the polepieces are not the magnets themselves, but come into contact with a bottom loaded mag.

Also, the Lil 59 is not a single, it's a single coil sized humbucker, and it's not alnico V loaded, it runs on a ceramic mag.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
              You won't get the same response though. A humbucker's sound is based around the fact that the polepieces are not the magnets themselves, but come into contact with a bottom loaded mag.

Also, the Lil 59 is not a single, it's a single coil sized humbucker, and it's not alnico V loaded, it runs on a ceramic mag.
              Thanks Benjy_26 for letting me know about the lil 59. I was just quickly trying to suggest a different 2/5-magnet humbucked scenario. But I see what you mean about it not truly being a humbucker-like magnetic field. It's still cool to experiment though

Comment

That was my post!!! That was a long time ago. I did it with a dremel tool and cutoff wheels. The alnico 5 magnets are just about impossible to cut. The creamic are easy althought they have a tendency to catch fire. The pickup in question has been lying in a junk drawer for the last year. I just don't have anything that I would use it with.

Snowdog

Comment

Working...
                X