compare a DD to JB and GLSD, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compare a DD to JB and GLSD, please

Currently, in my favorite strat I'm switching back and forth between a JB and a Screamin' Demon. Although, I'm curious about trying a Duncan Distortion in the guitar.

For those who have tried these three, please compare the DD to the sound of a JB or a Demon. Is it darker? More harmonics? More clarity? Less clarity? Smoother? More gritty? etc.

Thanks,
    Steve

Re: compare a DD to JB and GLSD, please

The DD & JB are the same pickup with different magnets. When I used to swap the magnets a lot, it seemed like the DD was a muscled up, "JB on steroids" if you will. It's been too long since I used the Demon, but I have one on the way, so I should be able to tell you soon.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

If I take the magnets from a Custom and put them in a JB, would I have the exact same thing as a Distortion?

Comment

No, the Distortion uses an oversized ceramic. I did try a smaller ceramic in a JB, and it's pretty cool, though. It's the same magnet as the biggest one in an Invader (which, coincidentally is the same pickup as the DD & JB, but with 3 magnets and the oxide caps).

Rumor has it that a JB with two rows of slot head poles & an A2 magnet is the Allan Holdsworth pickup.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
        X