F-spacing and single-coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-spacing and single-coils

i am looking for a single-coil pickup to replace my current middle pickup, so as to balance well with the bridge JB's output. at the same time, it is extremely critical that each pole is aligned with each string, due to some requirement of the electronics.

i have a few questions.

1) the guitar has a floyd rose. while i know that there is the trembucker version of the JB, how do i know if the middle-position single-coil's poles will align properly with the strings? is there a trem version of SD single-coil pickups?

2) which single-coil pickup would work well in the middle, considering that the bridge pickup is a JB? i like quack.

just for added info, the guitar is a HSS.

Re: F-spacing and single-coils

Originally posted by oYx
    i am looking for a single-coil pickup to replace my current middle pickup, so as to balance well with the bridge JB's output. at the same time, it is extremely critical that each pole is aligned with each string, due to some requirement of the electronics.

i have a few questions.

1) the guitar has a floyd rose. while i know that there is the trembucker version of the JB, how do i know if the middle-position single-coil's poles will align properly with the strings? is there a trem version of SD single-coil pickups?.
    No, and this sin't necessary. The Trem-Spacing matters at the bridge position, because the string spacing there is wider than on the middle/neck position.

Originally posted by oYx
    2) which single-coil pickup would work well in the middle, considering that the bridge pickup is a JB? i like quack.
    just for added info, the guitar is a HSS.
    Maybe a SSL1? I don't know. For this case, if you want more quack, simply split the JB.
    This is more important than what middle pickup you use, it simply should be a single coil.
    Pickups... the final frontier.
    These are the voyages of the Seymour-Duncan Forum-Users.
    Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

Re: F-spacing and single-coils

thanks for the reply. i'm not getting any email notification despite having set it to instant email notification, so my response may be slow.

i used to have lower output pickups on this guitar, but i decided to throw in a JB in the bridge and i have been liking it since. however, the middle pickup doesn't seem to be matching up well in terms of output, and because of that, i think lose some of the quack that i like when the middle pickup blends with the bridge's slug.

i have the JB in another guitar (all mahogany with ebony board) that can be split. while it's a great option and sound to have, i still miss the quack provided by the blending of the middle pickup and the bridge's slug.

Comment

Working...
      X