Need a little help choosing a few pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a little help choosing a few pickups

Hi there, im pretty sure this is the right place to ask this, I want to get some Seymour Duncan for both the neck and the bridge (Humbuckers). I haven't a clue where to start as there's so many to choose from .

I dont want a Distorted sound really, I prefer Overdrive. I hear High Output pickups tend to distort ?

I would like something like a Y.J.Malmsteen sound in the Neck Humbucker, any suggestions ? I want something with bags of sustain Humbucker Wise.

The Bridge, I would like something not really toney but not too bassy either. Again, want it too sustain a reasonable amount.

Any Suggestions would be very helpful.

Ibanez 570
    standard V7 & V8 Humbuckers
    Ibanez RG570L 2001 - SD: -JB-CR-Jazz
    Ibanez RG550L 1989? - SD: Dis Dimarzio: Fred
    Ibanez RG550L 1987 - EMG: 81-85
    Jackson RR3L (unknown) EMG: 81-85

Re: Need a little help choosing a few pickups

welcome to the forum!!

to me it sounds like a jazz neck, jb bridge combo is probably gonna be right up your alley.

malmsteen uses single coils but i think a jazz will get you the clear sound your looking for and the jb is not as over the top as a distortion style bucker but still has more juice. what amp are you using?

Comment

Im Using a Marshall AVT150 (Valve State) Cant afford a Valve yet : (. I was Actully thinking about a JB but wasn't interily sure. Also, Im using A Boss Super OverDrive if its any help

Comment

i think jeremy's advice is about as good as it's gonna get
        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Ok cool, Thanks guys, Anymore suggestions would be appreciated

Comment

Jeremy's suggestion was really good. Additionally, you should listen to the samples of Humbuckers on the SD website. It'll give you more perspective.

Jeff
            "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

I'm with Jeremy! The jazz is as articulate as a neck pup can get. The JB isn't over the top either.

Welcome to the forum.

Luke
              “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Cool thanks again for your help. Hmm, I bought a Hotrail the other day to sit in the middle position. Proberly wasn't a good idea as I dont really want alot of output. But it was £47 New so I snatched it up. Waiting for it too come through the Post at the mo, Recon I should install it or is it not going to be a rock pickup and distorted ?

Thanks for the warm Welcome Guys !

Comment

Working...
                X