banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

APH-1 Alnico II neck, what pickup for bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APH-1 Alnico II neck, what pickup for bridge?

I know I want the APH in neck, but I'm not sure what to put in brige. I was thinking of having the APH in both neck and bridge...but since I'm only going on reviews and online sound clips, I'm not sure how happy I'll be with the APH so getting TWO of them seems extra risky. I have a JB set in my Jackson. I was thinking of an APH neck and SH-5 bridge. I had a Duncan Distortion a few years back, it was good but I didn't like it enough to buy again. Anyone put a 59 in bridge?

I want a warm Slash-esque tone from neck and a more crisp distorted tone from the bridge. I play Speed metal and Death metal, but I want something with more personality and more unique sounding than your average metal band with an Duncan Distortion/EMG 81/Dimarzio X2N.

Re: APH-1 Alnico II neck, what pickup for bridge?

I really like the clarity of the APH bridge. A lot of the tone will depend on your rig, but thru my marshall JCM 800 it rocks. Again, its the clarity. Being low output, it really lets the tone of your guitar and amp come through....without coloring the sound too much. It takes all the gain you can throw at it, and still remains articulate.

However, it doesn't quite have that tight, chunka chunka type palm mute sound. If you are looking for that, the 59' with the A5 mag does that better. Also, if you have a guitar that is not overly bright, say a mahogany type guitar, the C5 does a great job. Sounds like the 59', but higher output. Stays really articulate. Some think it sounds thin in the mids and highs, that's why I recommend it in a more solid type of guitar.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

well, you don't say what kind of guitar you'll be putting these in, nor what kind of amp you use, so it's a little tricky to give rock sold advice ... jeff has outlined some really constructive guidelines for helping ...

i think a CC or a PG would go well with the AIIP in the neck ... but when you say 'speed/death metal' i get a bit hesitant ... then again, you say you want to be different ... so i'd start there

if the AIIP doesnt agree with you for clarity reasons (although it should get darned close to the 'slash' tone you mention), you might try the Jazz in the neck with a C5 bridge

good luck
      t4d
      gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

I have a APH in the neck and SH5 in the bridge of my prs , the aph is very warm smooth and articulate it stays like this clean and overdriven very much like slashs round neck sound with enough clarity and treble. The sh5 custom complements it very it well suits more aggressive styles a paf tone but with more output , its tight chunky and cuts through with a nice amount of mids and
        is farily bright it has a sort of growly midrange (acdc like) and there is enough chunk in the low end for palm muting.
        Hope this helps

Dills
        PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
        1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
        Blackstar HT-5
        2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
        Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

Originally posted by Dills
          I have a APH in the neck and SH5 in the bridge of my prs , the aph is very warm smooth and articulate it stays like this clean and overdriven very much like slashs round neck sound with enough clarity and treble. The sh5 custom complements it very it well suits more aggressive styles a paf tone but with more output , its tight chunky and cuts through with a nice amount of mids and
          is farily bright it has a sort of growly midrange (acdc like) and there is enough chunk in the low end for palm muting.
          Hope this helps

Dills
          Thanks, I think I'm gonna do the APH SH5 combo, but I'll look into the 59, PG and CC. It's a mahogony, set neck guitar (bigger than an SG smaller than a Les Paul)
          Last edited by deadlock; 04-28-2005, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X