No announcement yet.

Pulled The 59N Out And Trying The PGN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulled The 59N Out And Trying The PGN?

In my Tokai Love Rock I always felt the 59N was just a bit too woofy up there.I just finished putting the PGN in there and I haven't even played the guitar yet,as I'm on a much needed back break!

I'm hoping the PGN will be perfect and not too woofy in the lows?

Also...Curious?
    Anyone ever tryed an A5 magnet in the PGN pickup? The only reason I ask is because the PGB/Custom Hybrid I currently have in the bridge I Put an A5 magnet in and it's really great...

Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 05-01-2005, 01:22 PM.
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Re: Pulled The 59N Out And Trying The PGN?

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
    In my Tokai Love Rock I always felt the 59N was just a bit too woofy up there.I just finished putting the PGN in there and I haven't even played the guitar yet,as I'm on a much needed back break!

I'm hoping the PGN will be perfect and not too woofy in the lows?

Also...Curious?
    Anyone ever tryed an A5 magnet in the PGN pickup? The only reason I ask is because the PGB/Custom Hybrid I currently have in the bridge I Put an A5 magnet in and it's really great...

Should be great...I LOVE PG's...I have not tried an alnico 5 in one yet, to be honest I never felt the need to change anything about a PG!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

John, I did not get along with the PG in the neck of my hardtail, I found that I could not get the clarity I wanted, no matter how I adjusted it. I ended up with the APH, and could not have been happier. It really balances well, and has great clarity, awsome cleans and even better od. Have you tried it?

I have a spare sitting around if you would like to?
      My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
        John, I did not get along with the PG in the neck of my hardtail, I found that I could not get the clarity I wanted, no matter how I adjusted it. I ended up with the APH, and could not have been happier. It really balances well, and has great clarity, awsome cleans and even better od. Have you tried it?

Thanks buddy....I put one in my buddy Brian's LP,but I've never tryed the APH or the Jazz for that matter....Another one that intriques me is the Seth in the neck? One of these days.... Let's see how the PGN does?
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Jeff,

what is the construction of the Hardtail? I love the PG, and I really like the A2P as well...when you went from the PG to the A2P in the same guitar what really changed? I have an A2P in the neck of my Yamaha SG2000, and a PG in the neck of my Moderne. The thing is that those 2 guitars are really night and day tonally...since you have done both in the same guitar, what did you think the biggest differences were?
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
            Jeff,

what is the construction of the Hardtail? I love the PG, and I really like the A2P as well...when you went from the PG to the A2P in the same guitar what really changed? I have an A2P in the neck of my Yamaha SG2000, and a PG in the neck of my Moderne. The thing is that those 2 guitars are really night and day tonally...since you have done both in the same guitar, what did you think the biggest differences were?
            Excellent questions....

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
              Jeff,

Excellent questions....
              The construction of the Hardtail is smiliar to a LP and a McCarty. One piece mahogny body with a 5/8" Eastern Rock Maple top. Before I had my Lesters, I used to think the Hardtail came very close to nailing the LP tone. It's close, but not as close as I originally though. I would probably equate it to being somewhere in the middle of a Mc Carty and a LP. The hardtail has an upper horn that is significantly larger than a McCarty, and is in fact more extended that that of the LP. The Hardtail will not fit in my LP case due to the upper horn. It weighs in at 8 1/2 lbs roughly.

I think the major difference between the Hardtail and the LP is the mids. The HT is just not as thick as the LP. Also, the HT has an ebony board, and a much more agressive top carve, which lends itself to some more highs. I think this is why the APH worked so well.

The major difference in tone between the PG and the APH was the clarity and balance. The PG sounded great clean, but had that sizzle in the mids that made it sound just not quite smooth enough in the neck when overdriven, at least for my taste. The APH to my ears had the perfect balance of bass, mids and highs, combined with a smoothness and clarity that was just what I wanted. I think of the APH as a warmer Jazz. The PG seemed slightly muddier in the bass than the APH, and slightly crispier on the highs. All of these things combined for me just made it feel like th clarity of the PG wasn't there for me.

Hope that helps a little.
              My Sound Clips

Comment

The construction of the Hardtail is smiliar to a LP and a McCarty. One piece mahogny body with a 5/8" Eastern Rock Maple top. Before I had my Lesters, I used to think the Hardtail came very close to nailing the LP tone. It's close, but not as close as I originally though. I would probably equate it to being somewhere in the middle of a Mc Carty and a LP. The hardtail has an upper horn that is significantly larger than a McCarty, and is in fact more extended that that of the LP. The Hardtail will not fit in my LP case due to the upper horn. It weighs in at 8 1/2 lbs roughly.

I think the major difference between the Hardtail and the LP is the mids. The HT is just not as thick as the LP. Also, the HT has an ebony board, and a much more agressive top carve, which lends itself to some more highs. I think this is why the APH worked so well.

The major difference in tone between the PG and the APH was the clarity and balance. The PG sounded great clean, but had that sizzle in the mids that made it sound just not quite smooth enough in the neck when overdriven, at least for my taste. The APH to my ears had the perfect balance of bass, mids and highs, combined with a smoothness and clarity that was just what I wanted. I think of the APH as a warmer Jazz. The PG seemed slightly muddier in the bass than the APH, and slightly crispier on the highs. All of these things combined for me just made it feel like th clarity of the PG wasn't there for me.

Very nice...that makes sense!

Thanks buddy

Comment

Great looking Tokai! Sorry, unrelated question after looking at your tailpiece. What kind of strings are those that have the different colored ball ends? Thanx.
                  "The disgusting stink of a too loud electric guitar. Now that's my idea of a good time." Frank Zappa

Comment

Originally posted by mule
                    Great looking Tokai! Sorry, unrelated question after looking at your tailpiece. What kind of strings are those that have the different colored ball ends? Thanx.
                    D'Addario

Comment

You have a pm, sir.
                      Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

You're right Jeff...The PGN still reminds me of the 59N but with more mids,and more highs,but the lows seem the same....The PGN also has some "hair" over both clean and overdriven notes but the lows still boom a bit in this guitar...

I listened to the Jazz neck on the Duncan site and it seems weak in the lows....The APH 2 seemed like it wasn't as boomy,had the highend chime,but even slightly more mids,but it was hard to tell via my computer speakers?

You know what I'm thinkin....An A3 or an A5 in the PGN could solve all this...The A3 might be perfect....It'll remove a bit of the mids,maybe retain the highs and make the PGN just a tad more clear and articulate?

I think Doc Barlo does this with his and now I fully understand why.....

Comment

You know what I'm thinkin....An A3 or an A5 in the PGN could solve all this...The A3 might be perfect....It'll remove a bit of the mids,maybe retain the highs and make the PGN just a tad more clear and articulate?

I think Doc Barlo does this with his and now I fully understand why.....
                          Right on! That is exactly the reason why I keep an a3 magnet in two of my PGs that I use in the neck. The first is a 7.40K PGn, and the second is a 8.15K PGb (that I matched with my 8.75K PG+). But the weird thing was that another PGb (8.00K) that I use in the neck did not need that mod at all. I am using it a little lower than usual with the screw pieces a little higher.

B
                          FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by mule
                            Yep....D'Addario 10s.....

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo
                              Right on! That is exactly the reason why I keep an a3 magnet in two of my PGs that I use in the neck. The first is a 7.40K PGn, and the second is a 8.15K PGb (that I matched with my 8.75K PG+). But the weird thing was that another PGb (8.00K) that I use in the neck did not need that mod at all. I am using it a little lower than usual with the screw pieces a little higher.

B
                              I'm going to swap the A2 for the A3....I think that'll get me where I'd like to be...Thanks Doc...I now see why you like an A3 in the PGN...Our neck pickup tastes must be very similar...

Comment

Working...
                              X