Guitar with P-90's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar with P-90's

I really want a guitar with P-90's but my left-handed spaziness means I can't find a guitar with stock P-90's. I'm either gonna buy a tele-type and fit them, or look for a mahogany slab type body (everyone's always banging on about mahogany and P-90's)

Basically, my question is two-fold.

Firstly, how much re-construction is involved in fitting P-90's? Do they have the same dimensions as humbuckers? Anybody got any suggestions for which guitar I should get?

Secondly, what are the tonal differences between a mahogany/P-90's setup (like an LP Junior) and a tele-type/P-90's setup? I want the guitar for playing 'nicer' music. Got my LP for palying rawk!

Please Help!!!
    Guitars:
    Epi LP (SH-11b + SH-55n)
    Danelectro U2 '56 Reissue
    Yamaha APX5LA
    Pedals:
    MXR Super Comp, HBE Power Screamer, Toadworks Death Rattle, Carl Martin Crunch Drive, Boss CE-2, Marshall Ed The Compressor, Marshall Drivemaster, Arion EQ, Bespeco Volume Pedal
    Amps:
    Fender Prosonic combo
    Marshall JTM60 combo

Re: Guitar with P-90's

Originally posted by benjaturner
    I really want a guitar with P-90's but my left-handed spaziness means I can't find a guitar with stock P-90's. I'm either gonna buy a tele-type and fit them, or look for a mahogany slab type body (everyone's always banging on about mahogany and P-90's)

Basically, my question is two-fold.

Firstly, how much re-construction is involved in fitting P-90's? Do they have the same dimensions as humbuckers? Anybody got any suggestions for which guitar I should get?

Secondly, what are the tonal differences between a mahogany/P-90's setup (like an LP Junior) and a tele-type/P-90's setup? I want the guitar for playing 'nicer' music. Got my LP for palying rawk!

Please Help!!!
    A tele with P-90's will sound pretty different that a LP Jr...do this, find a good lefty guitar with 2 buckers, get it and drop in 2 Phat Cats...the PC's are humbucker sized P-90's and they kick ass!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I like the last answer better than my own but I, like, bought the ticket so here goes.

Pick up a beat up Ovation Viper on Fleabay for about $200 and build a Maple or Alder Lefty body and see what goes.

I recently installed some Phat Cats in a Viper body for a friend it sounds anywhere from "nice" and clean to "nice" and dirty.

Comment

That's a good idea. So far, I actually like the Phat Cats more than any stock p-90 i've tried.
        teles? voxes? what is happening to me?!

Comment

Phatcats are awsome. I dont own a pair, but I was able to play a guitar with them in it. So just find you a lefty guitar, and drop those bad b*tches in there.
          This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

www.rondomusic.net has a lot of leftie axes for reasonable prices. I've heard a lot of good reviews. I bought a bass there, and its just... yes.
            "From one thing, know ten thousand things." - samurai proverb

OLP MM4 >> CC/b,HotRails/m,Lil'59'/n

Comment

Another alternative is the Gibson P-94, a single coil in humbucker size. I'm testing them in my Tokai, and they give any humbucker a hard time in terms of clarity, warmth, punch and bloom, too, especially at the neck position.
              ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen
              BLUEZZ BASTARDZZ on Myspace, Facebook, YouTube, Last.fm and Twitter
              INDIGO ROCKS on Myspace, Last.fm and at home

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by benjaturner

Please Help!!!
                  I built a tele type with P-90s. I lucked out & got a used alder tele style body that was routed for a humbucker bridge & a single coil neck. I also picked up a Saga maple tele neck. I routed the neck pocket for a humbucker, and put in a JB and a Jazz, but it sounded a little dull, I think because the quality of the wood wasn't so hot. I put in 2 P-90s; an SD antiquity in the neck and an SD Vintage in the bridge. I wired them to a 4-way lever switch and have a push-pull pot to switch the bridge PU in & out of phase. It's quite fat twangy.

Currently, I have it set up with heavy strings & use it for slide, but with the right pots & caps, it makes for a very versatile guitar, but is is much brighter that an SG special with P-90s

Does Gibson make lefty faded SGs? Those faded SGs are pretty inexpensive, & you could drop in a pair of Phat-cats easily.
                  Dirt

Oh, so that's what an invisible barrier looks like.

Comment

I will second rondomusic.net. Bought two guitars from them (Agile) and besides the guitars being incredible for the price, the customer service is outstanding with a great return policy. You can get a killer guitar there for right around $200 and they have lots of lefties

Here's a cool one: http://www.rondomusic.net/al2500goldp90left.html

They have less expensive and more expensive ones. I have a righty AL-2500 in Heritage Cherry and I don't have to make any excuses for it - it is a GREAT sounding "LP" in it's own right. Solid mahogany with a carved top, bound body, neck, and headstock. Threw a set of SD's in there and can't put it down.
                    Owner:
                    Slamo Custom Guitars
                    Doc Simons Miracle Guitar Polish

Comment

Working...
                    X