pup advice Bridge- Strat for shred

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pup advice Bridge- Strat for shred

Got Highway strat, bought it today for 300$.
    I want to install -
    Neck - yjm dimario
    Mid - i guess another YJM
    Bridge - Tone zone s or some of SD? - need advice here

Re: pup advice Bridge- Strat for shred

Originally posted by Mr.D
    Got Highway strat, bought it today for 300$.
    I want to install -
    Neck - yjm dimario
    Mid - i guess another YJM
    Bridge - Tone zone s or some of SD? - need advice here

That is a great deal on a killer guitar!

what are you looking for as far as tone? I assume you want noiseless?
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
      That is a great deal on a killer guitar!

what are you looking for as far as tone? I assume you want noiseless?
      +1. and whats the amp situation like.
      Constantly wanting new gear...

Comment

I've had good luck with a J.B. in the bridge, very musical and will scream.
        Originally posted by tone4days
        we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

Yeah absolue noiseles pup. If possible.
          I paly malmsteen stuff -neck. And Becker - bridge, especially Altitudes/
          I have crate amp v-series 5. Its cheap but its great, still could be better.
          It gives Thin Sound.
          Any amp suggestion would be great, cos i saved alot money buying this guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.D
            Yeah absolue noiseles pup. If possible.
            I paly malmsteen stuff -neck. And Becker - bridge, especially Altitudes/
            I have crate amp v-series 5. Its cheap but its great, still could be better.
            It gives Thin Sound.
            Any amp suggestion would be great, cos i saved alot money buying this guitar.
            Well, then for the bridge i would say a jb jr is what you want(if its a sss strat), is its a hss strat then a full sized jb. Amp wise.....(not to be mean or anything) but you could get alot more amp suggestions if you posted a thread in the guitar shop forum.......
            Constantly wanting new gear...

Comment

I have a SD SSL-6 in the bridge of one of my Strats, and it does great for high-end leads. It's got plenty of output and sounds nice thru Fender or Marshall amps, but wouldn't know about Crate's.
              You could proabably score one cheap off of ebay if you're interested. It's a good s.c.
              ....Bob

Comment

THanks

Comment

If your Crate V 5 sounds weak you don't have to get a new amp, the included tubes arn't that great and the sound can be improved vastly by upgrading them. I would advise a JB for bridge because it can do everything from a great metal scream to blues and classic rock tones.
                  Originally posted by ratherdashing
                  If inviting 200 drunken strangers to your parents house is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Comment

I'm going to go against the tide here, but: May I suggest the EMG Dave Gilmour Set?

It'll sound just like strat should, be completely noiseless, and when you twiddle the knobs, you can get some great shred, metal, and rock tones out of it (if your amp has the gain.

Clarity is as good or better than my other strat loaded with Duncan's APS-2's and it has enough output to blow away my Hamer loaded with an APH/JB set up.

BTW, it'll be dead quiet, and the cleans on the middle pickup are almost acoustic.

The only downside is batteries. If you aren't comfortable with swapping 9 volts in and ou tof your axe (about once every 6 months ), this isn't the set for you.
                    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Here's my advice if you're going for Malmsteen esque sounds.

First, forget the YJM pickups. They sound terrible (IMO) when compared to the much better HS-3 pickups. Supposedly the YJM is an HS-3 with 'vintage' staggered poles. I don't believe that. I've used both and have about 10 years of experience with the HS-3 pickups. While I prefer even Fender singles to the HS-3's in terms of tone, if you've got your heart set on the DiMarzios, don't waste your time on the YJM's.

For bridge, and I'm not kidding, get yourself a Full Shred bridge pickup. It is tight and clean, and perfect for Malmsteen tones. Now, I have nothing against the JB (which I have x3) or the Custom series, but the FSb just OOZES Malmsteen.

I believe that the Highway1 is routed s-s-h, if I'm wrong, someone correct me. So you shouldn't have a problem with the Hs3, Hs3, full size humbucker combo if you decide to go with that.

Mark
                      2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
                      1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Working...
                      X