474k cap for 500k pots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 474k cap for 500k pots?

is this the cap I need to wire 500k pots in my Les Paul. Right now the caps are "203M" for the stock 300k gibson caps?
    Guitars: '12 LP Standard, Mid-90s 335, mid-90s LP Studio, mid-90s Am Standard Tele, '05 Larivee D-03 Acoustic
    Amps: Bogner Shiva 1x12 combo, Bogner Goldfinger 45, Bogner OS 2x12 Cabinet
    Pedals: Shur Riot, TS-9, Little Big Muff Pi, CE Audio Boost, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR Carbon Coby, EHX Small Clone, TC Electronics Vortex Flange, Fulltone Clyde Wah, vintage Ernie Ball volume pedal, Big Shot ABY, Boss OC-2 Octave
    Pedalboard: Furman pedalboard SPB-8C

Re: 474k cap for 500k pots?

A 474k would effectively convert your tone control to a volume control. The first two numbers are "significant digits", 203, 474. The third digit is the number of zeros, that equal the total picofarads. So . . .

203k = 20,000 picofarads = .02 uf

474k = 470,000 picofarads = .47uf

That value would pass all the audio to ground . . . ergo, a volume control. A 473k wouldn't be too bad. Thats a .047 uf.

btw - I believe the "k" and the "M" are related to the voltage rating of the cap. I'll see if I can find the answer to that.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 05-02-2005, 11:03 AM.

Comment

hey, ARtie. Looks like I owe you a beer some time for responding to my threads today!

okay. Well, the guitar is wired except for the caps because I am still unsure which to use.. I'd like to use the original ones that are still there (.02 uf) instead of the .474k caps.

If I don't need 474k cap for the 500k pots than I will keep the .02 cap.

Can I do that?
      Guitars: '12 LP Standard, Mid-90s 335, mid-90s LP Studio, mid-90s Am Standard Tele, '05 Larivee D-03 Acoustic
      Pedals: Shur Riot, TS-9, Little Big Muff Pi, CE Audio Boost, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR Carbon Coby, EHX Small Clone, TC Electronics Vortex Flange, Fulltone Clyde Wah, vintage Ernie Ball volume pedal, Big Shot ABY, Boss OC-2 Octave

Comment

Yes, that should be fine. Remember, there's no real correlation between the cap size and the pot value. The cap size determines the range of frequencies that you shunt to ground. The pot value determines how much of those frequencies you send to ground.

I'll have a St. Pauli Girl please.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
          Yes, that should be fine. Remember, there's no real correlation between the cap size and the pot value. The cap size determines the range of frequencies that you shunt to ground. The pot value determines how much of those frequencies you send to ground.

I'll have a St. Pauli Girl please.

you got it! one st. paui's on me!

Comment

Working...
          X