Les Paul body weight and pickup choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Paul body weight and pickup choice

I've read the recent threads about differences among the 59's, APH, PG, Seths, and Antiquity HBs. I'm trying to pick a set of pickups for an older Les Paul Classic with nickel hardware that is quite light in weight and a for a recent Les Paul Studio that is considerably heavier (although lighter than most Standards I've handled). Is there any consensus about which PAF-style pickup might be best suited for a fairly light vs. heavier LP? I guess you can throw the Jazz, JB, C5, and CC in the mix if you'd like, and you can consider the music to be blues, blues-rock, and classic rock in flavor.

Any recommendations, or does blody weight have little to do with your choices?

Re: Les Paul body weight and pickup choice

Kelsey -

Overall tone more than body weight is the thing I think about with any guitar. I've played guitars that are heavy as all getout and are amazingly bright, and light guitars that are equally dark. Every guitar is different, but I "GENERALLY" find heavy guitars slightly darker, and lighter guitars slightly brighter.

For a lighter guitar, I would look for something that is warmer, ie Alnico II based. Seth Lover, APH II, PG, Antiquity...depending on your taste

For heavier guitars, something A5 based to brighten things up a bit, 59' Jazz, C5 bridge, ect.

That's a good starting point....all of the PAF pups are well balanced and work well for blues, blues rock and classic rock. I also think the CC and C5 work well for those styles as well. Once you get hotter than that, or add a ceramic magnet it starts to get out of my taste range.

YMMV.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

Working...
    X