Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a S-S-H guitar

Folks,

I have an old Profile guitar (don't laugh!) that was given to me as a Christmas present by my parents when I was 12. It has a great sentimental value to me as it was my first electric guitar. The playability of the guitar is pretty good. But, the sound is a bit thin because of the crappy stock pickuos but I am sure that I could get a good sound of it with decent pickups.

The pickups are from neck to bridge: S-S-H

It's a Strat style guitar but the neck has 24 frets (I can get the second E octave) and the fingerboard is rosewood. I don't know the type of wood the body has. It also has a 5-way pickup selector switch, 1 volume knob and 1 tone knob.

I'm a huge fan of Hendrix's tone by the way. But, I'm used to a pretty fat tone on my main guitar which is a LesPaul. Single coils are pretty "new" to me.

Any suggestions to fatten the tone up a bit?

I was thinking SSL-1s for both Single-Coils and a 59B for the bridge. I've read that Lew likes the SSL-1s a lot.

What do you all think?

I would also like to get some locking tuners, without going the Floyd-Rose way because I know that the Floy Rose makes the guitar sound a bit thinner already and I don't want that!

Thanks for the input guys!

Re: Suggestions for a S-S-H guitar

IMHO SSL-1's with a 59b would be outstanding. That should make a killer sounding setup. If you wanted to get just a tiny bit fancy, you could split and/or parallel the 59 to boot. But it wouldn't be necessary - just an option.

Comment

Re: Suggestions for a S-S-H guitar

I argee with artie ssl-1's would work great w/ a 59b. the ssl's would get a hendrix-ish tone fairly well.....and if you want more output in the humbucker but somewhat the same tone as the 59b you could go for a custom 5......
      wouldn't you have to get one of the single rp/rw for ssh? i think i've read somewhere that its the neck......but maybe i was reading false info.
      Constantly wanting new gear...

Comment

Working...
      X