Twangbanger with Texas Specials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twangbanger with Texas Specials?

I have an ESP 400 Strat (alder-ish body, maple neck) that currently has TS in neck and middle and an Air Zone in the bridge; after all the chatter about Twangbangers recently, I am wanting to change back to S/S/S! So, would the Twangbanger mix with the TS I have already or would I be better off getting APSs or SSLs? I was thinking of going with Jimmie Vaughan-style wiring (master volume, tone for neck, tone for bridge, middle "open") I have a Jeff Beck Strat for rock and heavy blues so I am looking for this Strat to be more "vintage" but with Texas blues edge to it... Any thoughts?

Dan
    EVH: "I'm a tone chaser... I love chasin' tone!"

Re: Twangbanger with Texas Specials?

Hey man, welcome to the forum!

I've got 3 APS' in my strat APS1 neck APS1 RWRP and an APS 2 bridge. The Twangbanger is kind of like the next step in the chain. It will be gutsy but still have a stratty sound. Lots of folks go with the APS' and a Twangbanger bridge.

To me the the TS are a bit brittle sounding, but that's just my ears. Alot of guys really like the them.

Luke
    “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

I have the Twangbanger paired with SSL-1s in neck and middle, and it's a real nice combo. I don't like the Texas Specials in my other Strat as much as the SSL-1's, although I wouldn't mind something a bit beefier than SSL-1s at times. You might run into some phase and polarity problems with the mix of Fender and SD pickups, os you might have to reverse the hot and ground wires on the TS's and perhaps switch the neck amd middle around. Otherwise, you'd have to do some surgery on the Twangbanger to remove the ground from the base plate (and put the hot there instead).

Comment

I Love the Twangbanger,but I can't stand the Texas Specials for strat...My favorite setup in my favorite strat is a TB/Surfer/surfer...
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I think the combo you speak of, TS's with a Twang Banger, would be nice. I also believe that the trick with Texas Specials is to have them lower than normal. I have spoken with several people about this. At first, they didn't like the tone of their Texas Specials. Then, they lowered them; some almost flush with the pickguard. That's when the tone started oozing out.
          -Butch

Comment

Originally posted by Butch Snyder
            I think the combo you speak of, TS's with a Twang Banger, would be nice. I also believe that the trick with Texas Specials is to have them lower than normal. I have spoken with several people about this. At first, they didn't like the tone of their Texas Specials. Then, they lowered them; some almost flush with the pickguard. That's when the tone started oozing out.
            I run all of my strat pickups lower as a rule...I just always find the TS to be too middy and harsh...But that's just me...
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
              I run all of my strat pickups lower as a rule...I just always find the TS to be too middy and harsh...But that's just me...
              I can understand and respect that...
              -Butch

Comment

Working...
              X