stag mag and dd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stag mag and dd

how would the combination of stag mag neck and duncan distortion bridge fair?

Re: stag mag and dd

I once had that combo and found the DD a bit too much - but from the power, not from the output. Because the Stag mag is a louder neck pickup, but doesn't have more power. I put the super Distortion instead and it worked fine.
    I had this combo for 3 years in one guitar. I was surprised how both worked together, because i had both pickups "over" layin around, so i thought i'd put them in one guitar.
    Of course it depends on the guitar, i found the DD on that one guitar too much.
    Don't forget to use a split mode for the Stag Mag ;-)
    Great and underrated neck pickup!

Now i'm gonna reduce my guitar collection and i'm gonna keep the Jazz, 59 and Stag Mag as neck pickups, Together with the JB, C or CC, DD as bridge pickups.
    Pickups... the final frontier.
    These are the voyages of the Seymour-Duncan Forum-Users.
    Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

thanks. who else has tried this?

Comment

if anyone is wondering why i am asking about such an odd combo... i am looking for pickups that are more on the bright side of the spectrum. also good mids, but not a lot of bass.

Comment

bump

Comment

"The Mag" (Alnico 5 Stag Mag) is the neck p'up that I run in both my electrics. It's not a distortion pickup at all, it's just a really loud clear and bright humbucker that gets really smooth and flutey under distortion (perfect for leads). But since it's really loud, it'll drown out an SH-5 Custom in the bridge. My best results were using it with a TB-5 Custom bridge (a little louder than the SH-5) or with an Invader. It was excellent with the Invader, play some heavy crunch on the bridge, then flip up to the neck for a big mid-drenched solo! Go for it!

Comment

I've had a Stag Mag in both the neck and the bridge before. I think its a great neck pup. I've also got a Distortion in the neck, (soon to have one in the bridge too.)

I've never used them together, but it sounds like it could be a nice pair.

Comment

bump

Comment

i was also thinking maybe a stag mag in the neck and a bill lawrence l-500 in the bridge
                  what do you think? also, how bright is the super distortion, tb-5 cutom bridge, and the l-500 (it would probably be a xl500)?
                  Last edited by nepalnt21; 05-06-2005, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Comment

boooooooop

Comment

im lonely

Comment

My Main Fat Strat has a JB and a Stag-Mag in the neck. I love it! The only PU configuration that will probably never change.

I also love the DD when I want more chug. I currently have a DD teamed up with a PRS Dragon which makes for one Heck of a Metal/Power Blues combo . The other DD is teamed up with a PRS Prototype which is somewhere between a McCarthy and a Dragon and is very open/acoustic sounding (my dedicated Randy Rhoads sounding guitar).

I can see a DD with a Stag- Mag but they won't work together. It would be a neck-blues + Heavy-bridge combo.
                          Fat Strat into a Soldano, always.

Comment

Working...
                          X