My Custom 5 and Aph-1N ROCK!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Custom 5 and Aph-1N ROCK!!!

Well I Got them installed into my Les Paul and they are exactly what I was looking for. They are a perfect match together.

The custom 5 gives me good rich lows that dont get boomy and crisp highs without ANY shrill whatsoever. And a fantastic balance of mids that tie the lows to the highs like spreading butter. The drive of the Custom 5 is fantastic as well..... More than the stock Gibsons but not to the point of uncontrolled... Good harmonic response as well...

The Aph-1N in the neck is the perfect counterpart to the custom 5 ... Its got a real creamy blusey tone to it when its dirty with nice rounded highs.

I had went the route of the sh-4 and the sh-2N and it was a great setup but not for my paul.... I plan on getting this setup in the future again and loading them into a Schecter C-1 classic FR as soon as I find the right guitar.

But as for my Les Paul... the Custom 5 and the Aph-1n are the perfect combination. If you like the stock tone of your Les Paul but want an all around BETTER sound I highly recomend them. Its not a radical change but an all around BIG improvement on the stock sound. Kinda like taking the BEST aspects of what was there originally and improving them even more (harmonics,drive,tone,clarity) and leaving behind all the bad qualities (feedback,shrill highs, boominess).

Thanks again to Jeff_H and Luke Duke. Your explanations and expert advise were priceless in helping me get the right setup for my guitar!!!

If it aint a Seymour Duncan then why bother?

Re: My Custom 5 and Aph-1N ROCK!!!

Heres my "Duncanized" guitars now.....

1982 Les Paul Standard Custom 5 rear / Aph-1n neck And my 70's reissue Strat with a hotrails in the rear and a scorcher in the neck....

Comment

Awsome.....really glad that you like them. That seems to be a classic set with a Les Paul. You should be able to sqeeze most of the tones you want out of that for sure now, and I dig the way the zebra's look too. Nice looking geetars you have there.

I'm putting the C5 back in my Standard for now, until I get the custom shop pup that I ordered for it.
      My Sound Clips

Comment

Cool! I just bought this set and am expecting them to be here any day now. I also just bought a Dean Hardtail and am thinking of putting them in there. I originally spec'd this set our for my Ibanez SZ540 but if the Dean HT works out I have a different plan for the Ibanez that invloves some Phat Cats
        Owner:
        Slamo Custom Guitars
        Doc Simons Miracle Guitar Polish

Comment

Originally posted by frankencat
          Cool! I just bought this set and am expecting them to be here any day now. I also just bought a Dean Hardtail and am thinking of putting them in there. I originally spec'd this set our for my Ibanez SZ540 but if the Dean HT works out I have a different plan for the Ibanez that invloves some Phat Cats
          You'll love the APH in the Hardtail....I do in mine. As for the C5, it can be a tad in the HT, depending on how you like your highs. I ended up opting for an APH bridge, but if the highs are a bit too much, I suggest a slightly higher cap value, like a .047 instead of the .022.
          My Sound Clips

Comment

I am thinking about putting a C5 in the bridge of my Paul. I absolutely love the tone decription of the C5, but i'm worried that it won't have quite enough output for what i play(heavy distortion, big tight bottom end, but i don't want my leads to be too harsh, think Sum 41's Chuck.
            Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
            Warmoth Musiclander (Invader/'59 model) see display pic <---
            Jackon Pro Series Dinky w/OFR (EMG 81/60)

Marshall JCM 800 4104 (2xEminence Governor)

Visual Sound Route 808
            Boss SD-1
            Digitech Bad Monkey
            Vox V-847 wah

Comment

the C5 shouldn't be a problem if you play at high gain settings. in my Gibson SG Special, the C5 was adequate to address all my black metal tones.
              Psychic Horns

Comment

The aph is an awesome neck pup glad you like it
                PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
                1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
                Blackstar HT-5
                2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
                Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

Thanks Jeff
                  Owner:
                  Slamo Custom Guitars
                  Doc Simons Miracle Guitar Polish

Comment

Working...