Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone keeps talking about...

...quarter pounders.

i have a quarter pounder in my jag neck position and it gives a really loud muffled tone on its own. Could this be down to the pick up height? Its already about 5/6mm from the strings.

although, when i play with my brdige (stock) and 1/4lber together my tone is much brighter. However, i want to get a new bridge pick up, so will another high output pick up ruin the brightness?

I read the 1/4lber bridge gives very good brightness but am unsure.

Re: Everyone keeps talking about...

Welcome to the Forum.

Adjusting height on a pickup does affect the sound. Try lowering it until you find the sound you want. Also, the QP in the neck might sound loud and muffeled only in comparison to the stock bridge unit.

Another QP might do the trick in the bridge.

One thing to try would be the QP you already have in the bridge and using a traditional style pickup in the neck (like the one yo9u have in the bridge. If you like the sound, you might just get something like a SSL-1 or -2 for the neck to use in conjunction with the QP.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Yeah av tried moving the height of the pick up but its still mega muffled. Its not really a huge problem cos i can just switch onto the lead circuit and add the bridge but it kinda cuts down my tone options on the guitar you know?

Would there be much of a difference between the bridge and neck QP's?

Comment

Yes, the bridge model is even hotter and will have even more (slightly) mids and bass

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

The QP is a very beefy pup, maybe too beefy for some neck slot applications. I would try messing with the height to get a more open sound, the A5 mag. coupled with the large polepieces could very well be muffling the sound. You could also try swapping like Benjy said.

BTW Welcome to the forum!

Luke
          “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Yeah, i think the QP is alittle to much for my neck position (its as low as possible and still very muffled.)

I thikn switching the pick ups might be better although ad rather get an SJAG-1 in the neck and the QP in the bridge cos the stock pick ups for the Jags squeal like *****es.

Do you reckon it doesnt make much difference if i put the neck QP in the bridge?

Comment

Originally posted by orko
              Do you reckon it doesnt make much difference if i put the neck QP in the bridge?
              Some guys prefer a neck pup in the bridge, slightly less output can make for all the difference in getting a sweeter tone.

I've got a QP set in my tele and even though I play harder stuff, and the neck doesn't have 1/4" polepieces it is a bit much.

Luke
              “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Working...
              X