PRS pickups in Epi Les Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRS pickups in Epi Les Paul

So i'm having a rough time trying to figure out which pickups to put in my Les Paul. I mentioned i wanted a tone like Sum 41's, so i did some searching, and found out that Dave plays a PRS McCarty. Now how close would i sound to Dave if i put those pickups in my Epi Les Paul. Thanks in advance guys.
    Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
    Warmoth Musiclander (Invader/'59 model) see display pic <---
    Jackon Pro Series Dinky w/OFR (EMG 81/60)

Marshall JCM 800 4104 (2xEminence Governor)

Visual Sound Route 808
    Boss SD-1
    Digitech Bad Monkey
    Vox V-847 wah

Re: PRS pickups in Epi Les Paul

Can't answer your question but my Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard sounds amazing with my Seymour Duncans SH1 & SH5. I love this guitar! Elite & Elitist Epiphones are awesome Les Pauls. I wouldn't trade this guitar unless it for something extremely valuable. After the trade I would sell the valuable guitar and buy a bunch of Elitist and put different SD pickups in each one. I'm craving some Seth's or possibly the 50th Anniversary pickups from MF.

Comment

should sound good, but remember that dave uses prs guitars as well as pups deryk used to use lps and SGs, altho lately ive seen him with a tele, odd as it seems... anyway, sum41 is a band with 2 guitars, and one guitar is never gonna get that exact sound. you should get a decent dave-like sound with the prs pups tho.
      Colossians 1:15

Originally posted by Gr8Scott
      I absolutely have no doubt that Aceman has a glitter covered pony head on a stick that he occasionally saddles and rides around his office in full aceman regalia screaming like a cowboy on a meth binge just because the mood strikes him.

Comment

There is more than one model of PRS pickups. Which pickups does he use? Do you know the model of his guitar if you don't know the pickups?
        Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

I know i won't sound EXACTLY like Dave, but i want to sound as close as i can. I'm pretty sure he uses a PRS McCarty for the studio (so i'm assuming he's using the McCarty pickups) but when i saw them live, he had 4 LP's, an Explorer, and a McCarty. I think he had one more, but i can't remember what it was. and yeah, Deryk used a dark grey tele with stickers on it for the whole show.
          Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
          Warmoth Musiclander (Invader/'59 model) see display pic <---
          Jackon Pro Series Dinky w/OFR (EMG 81/60)

Marshall JCM 800 4104 (2xEminence Governor)

Visual Sound Route 808
          Boss SD-1
          Digitech Bad Monkey
          Vox V-847 wah

Comment

Originally posted by Boleslaw Gers 666
            Does anyone else think PRS needs a hotter neck pickup to match with things like the HFS?
            I think the VB is hot enough to keep up with the HFS, I just don't think it sounds very good. I really like the Dragon 2 pickups but didn't have much use for the Dragon 1's when I tried 'em.

I'll probably keep the HFS/VB in my '89 CE but the '94 will probably get some new pickups at some point.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
            My Music

Comment

Working...
            X